News:

  • September 28, 2026, 11:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Element browser opening instead of Change Value  (Read 20398 times)

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
Online with a PLC, Edit mode inactive, if I double-click on a contact, I'm used to getting the Change Value dialog, but I'm getting the Element Browser instead, so two questions:

1) What's new?   What configures this behavior?   Is there a checkbox somewhere not in the state I'm used to?  I looked and couldn't find any.

2) Why on earth, if I'm not in Edit mode, would I want the Element Browser to open??  (I NEVER want the element browser to open, ever, for any reason, but that's more of a personal taste issue thing than a UI design issue)
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
Online with a PLC, Edit mode inactive, if I double-click on a contact, I'm used to getting the Change Value dialog, but I'm getting the Element Browser instead, so two questions:

1) What's new?   What configures this behavior?   Is there a checkbox somewhere not in the state I'm used to?  I looked and couldn't find any.

2) Why on earth, if I'm not in Edit mode, would I want the Element Browser to open??  (I NEVER want the element browser to open, ever, for any reason, but that's more of a personal taste issue thing than a UI design issue)

Status mode affects it. Don't know if that is a change or not.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 12:31:03 PM »
That must be it.   IIRC, I thought I had status on but I didn't.

I'm trying to do a FIFOUNLOAD from a queue of signed DWORDS to a cast location like MC64:SD and it won't let me.   Is that expected?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
That must be it.   IIRC, I thought I had status on but I didn't.

I'm trying to do a FIFOUNLOAD from a queue of signed DWORDS to a cast location like MC64:SD and it won't let me.   Is that expected?

Not sure. Maybe Franj has an opinion.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:41:05 PM »
Cool.   Until he chimes in, I'll move it out to a D location and MEMCOPY.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
Cool.   Until he chimes in, I'll move it out to a D location and MEMCOPY.

Double Click on a contact Change Value shows up when you are in Run mode, non-Edit mode.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »
Right, and BobO was correct, you need to have status on.    I was in Run, non-edit, but thought I had status on and I did not.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »
Right, and BobO was correct, you need to have status on.    I was in Run, non-edit, but thought I had status on and I did not.

Ha!

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
Any opinion about the FIFO?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 04:32:08 PM »
Any opinion about the FIFO?

The instruction itself does not support a buffer of bits, but it should allow a cast for the output - sounds like a Designer issue.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 06:18:02 PM »
OK thanks!
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 02:05:24 PM »
I found today that in a MATH expression, the editor won't allow

Code: [Select]
CountifNE(0, MyDataBlock[<Symbolic Constant> + <integer literal>], <integer literal>)
I know that in general, MATH destinations and expressions support full expressions as array indices, so is this an exception?

Update:   I just noticed the next-door MATH box had a symbolic constant in an index in the destination, and no objection.   So seems to be only in the expression, or perhaps only as an argument to a CountifXX() that's not allowed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:10:03 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »
I found today that in a MATH expression, the editor won't allow

Code: [Select]
CountifNE(0, MyDataBlock[<Symbolic Constant> + <integer literal>], <integer literal>)
I know that in general, MATH destinations and expressions support full expressions as array indices, so is this an exception?

Update:   I just noticed the next-door MATH box had a symbolic constant in an index in the destination, and no objection.   So seems to be only in the expression, or perhaps only as an argument to a CountifXX() that's not allowed.

It's not supported in the 2nd parameter because that parameter is not a value, it is a reference, similar to the result expression.  Even though it is an input parameter, you can't put a "3" there, nor anything evaluates to a numeric value (e.g. R0 + R1).  It is actually an "address".

Hence, it must be a bit/numeric block address (e.g. D100), or a non-expression based array reference, i.e. a simple V array index (D[V100]), or V + offset (1..63) (D[V100 + 42]).  It cannot be D[V1 + D2 + D3 + 17]

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 02:32:14 PM »
I get that that parameter is a pointer to a register location as opposed to a generalized numeric value, but so is the destination, which does allow full expression entry, so I don't get the distinciton.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Element browser opening instead of Change Value
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 02:35:10 PM »
I get that that parameter is a pointer to a register location as opposed to a generalized numeric value, but so is the destination, which does allow full expression entry, so I don't get the distinciton.

The destination expression capability was added later and is a special case. Your point is valid, it is possible, but it isn't a generalized function of the math parser and would require significant work to support.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO