News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Programming using Netedit over serial rather than Ethernet  (Read 8646 times)

vmason

Programming using Netedit over serial rather than Ethernet
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »
Ive been trying to use NetEdit3 to programme T1H-EBC's without any luck. Unless the EBC's are connected to the network, they arent picked up by the software at all. If I try to use the serial option, it doesnt read any EBC connected to the Serial port. How do I rectify this problem? ???
Help!!!!

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: Programming using Netedit over serial rather than Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:05:01 PM »
NetEdit is only useful over Ethernet.  It is used to configure the Ethernet products using Ethernet.  You cannot connect to an Ethernet product using Ethernet through a PC COM port.

vmason

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
Ok, hmmm, simply wonderful.  :( Thanks for your help though.
However, is there any Software out there which will allow me to programme these EBCs via a COM port instead of ethernet? :-\

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »
No.  Are you trying to configure these programatically via a serial port?  You can configure them over Ethernet with the Ethernet SDK that Host provides for free.

vmason

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:14:56 PM »
LOL, i finally got it sorted out.!!!!!!!
They say necessity is the mother of invention. We had been using a stone age method of programming RTUs which was passed down from "generation" to "generation" and never questioned.

Simply by using a straight cable attached to the 10BaseT ethernet port and a laptop we can configure all the RTU's out in the field without having to carry them in.

Our network is not flat, we have subnets and routers scattered all over the place. The EBCs sit on all different subnets behind these routers, so remotely managing them has been proving a nightmare.

We are currently migrating them to a separate network so this should hopefully simplify matters.