News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Programmatic IP address assignment for EBC-100  (Read 4585 times)

CWS

Programmatic IP address assignment for EBC-100
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »

I am considering doing an implementation using the following scenario.
I want the process to assign a static IP address to have as little human interaction as possible, I want end users to be able to add a new machine containing a DL205/EBC-100 and the only thing they need to do is set the dip switches to the next available ID. So if the end user has 5 of these machines ID 1-5 already and they install another, they just set the ID to 6 and plug it in.

1) transport used is TCP.
2) end users configure the address dip switches for unique IDs for multiple ECB-100 on a network.
3) on powerup the EBC-100 acquires a DHCP provided IP address.
4) my software does a HEIQueryDevices call to discover the EBC-100s on a network along with their dip switch set ID number and their IP addresses.
5) if the IP address of a device does not fall within a range of static IP addresses configured within my application (i.e. they are using their DHCP acquired address), I want to programmatically assign them a static IP address.

6) what is the best way to do this, can I just pass a GET or POST to the web server in the EBC-100 with arguments to set the address (as if a human set the address via the EBC-100 web server)?

If yes, and everything else seems like a reasonable implementation...can you provide the the URL format for the GET including the arguments to set the IP address parameters, or if it is a POST the URL and argument names? Will the new address take effect automatically or is a manual reboot required?

thanks, Chris

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: Programmatic IP address assignment for EBC-100
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
there's no web server in the EBC100 so you can't use POST to do the work.

use the HEIWriteSetupData API with the DT_IP_SETUP data type and the associated IP_Setup structure to write the IP address information.
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

CWS

Re: Programmatic IP address assignment for EBC-100
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:03 AM »
The document at this link:

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/h24ebc/contents.pdf

page 5-3 seems to indicate that there is a web server. I am using the visual studio 'port' and there is no definition for DT_IP_SETUP or the associated structures.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:26:34 AM by CWS »