News:

  • September 29, 2026, 04:02:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DMD hanging up with more than one open  (Read 15439 times)

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
DMD hanging up with more than one open
« on: February 05, 2024, 10:17:33 AM »
One of my customers has a system with 4 DoMore plc's. When I open all 4 on the computer the DMD hangs up with only the hour glass icon on the screen. All copy's open freeze. I have tried other computers to make sure it was not the computer. is this a known issue? It was working but was slow now it just freezes up. I am messaging a lot of data but no more than when we built the system. Is the next release still scheduled for this quarter?

Thanks JW

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 10:46:21 AM »
I am currently working on these kinds of issues.  Device View and Device List View are both problematic (although those are rarely used, but only use them when offline).  Minimizing status to just the views you are currently monitoring reduces these "deadly embrace" situations.  Other ways to minimize "deadly embrace" is when reading or writing to one PLC, turn All Status Off on all 4 sessions, then turn them back on after the read/write completes.

Regarding 2.10, the release of 2.10 has been delayed - it will not be coming out this quarter.

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 11:52:39 AM »
Thanks, not the answers I was hoping for but better to know. I'll try turning off the status on all but the one I am currently looking at. Any Idea how long the delay for v2.10 will be?

Thanks,
JW

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 12:39:13 PM »
Any Idea how long the delay for v2.10 will be?

Are you needing new 2.10 hardware product, or is there software/firmware/feature(s) you are needing.  We are trying to figure out what to do with 2.10.

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 01:14:18 PM »
Both. but if the firmware solves this freezing problem that would be great but the main thing I have been waiting on is Implicit messaging. I do a lot with drives, servo, robots, etc. and they all use Implicit messaging. I had a project I am finishing up now that uses a Keyence laser marker and I had to use a AB 5069 because I could not get the BRX explicit messaging to fully work. I would test it on my beta unit at my shop before putting it in the field then I would flash the firmware on some of the older units to test in the field but if that is not possible I would change the hardware on some machines if the customer is on board.

Thanks,
JW

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 01:53:02 PM »
DmD freezing is not a firmware thing.

The EIP implicit scanner is functional now, but still under development. We are planning to release 2.10.1 as soon as the scanner is ready, and then likely a maintenance release to support the new hardware modules that will be released later in 24.

Not sure what it would take, but we could look at beta access to the scanner. Right now it's all a little crude, major issue being no EDS support. Just means you have to know the right stuff to put in the setup. That isn't something we'd release, since it's a support nightmare, but's usable.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 02:53:15 PM »
We have broken down EDS files before to get some devices to work with BRX explicit messaging. The only problem we have had is ASCII commands. I have setup devices on AB controllogix without EDS files with implicit messaging. Most of the ethernet comm's are a piece of cake compared the the serial stuff we had to use in the "good" old days.(I don't miss them.) But without looking at the setup I can't say I can do it but I love a challenge. 

Thanks,
JW

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 03:05:13 PM »
We have broken down EDS files before to get some devices to work with BRX explicit messaging. The only problem we have had is ASCII commands. I have setup devices on AB controllogix without EDS files with implicit messaging. Most of the ethernet comm's are a piece of cake compared the the serial stuff we had to use in the "good" old days.(I don't miss them.) But without looking at the setup I can't say I can do it but I love a challenge. 

Thanks,
JW

The T->O and O->T portions are generally easy...just need connection points and length. If the device uses config, you also have the connection point and length for it, but the config data itself can be tedious. EDS file complexity will greatly affect how painful it is to find the CPs and lengths.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 03:08:09 PM »
And we also don't have a nice form to view the status, but it's not so hard from a DataView.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 05:56:10 PM »
Looks like something we can do. I would have to schedule the time to test. I have access to a testing setup that we can put test programs on most brands of PLC's, servo's, VFD's, Softstarts,  HMI's and a Fanuc b210i robot, it is used for R&D, testing and development. The main thing we need sooner than later for the BRX is the Implicit messaging to the Fanuc and Motorman robots, Yaskawa VFD's and Yaskawa Servo's. We installed a system with multiple BRX PLC's in 2019 for the largest user of BRX for our company and they have performed very well but the complexity is changing on the new projects.  Please PM me if there is something we can do.

Thanks,
JW

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 11:03:54 AM »
Looks like something we can do. I would have to schedule the time to test. I have access to a testing setup that we can put test programs on most brands of PLC's, servo's, VFD's, Softstarts,  HMI's and a Fanuc b210i robot, it is used for R&D, testing and development. The main thing we need sooner than later for the BRX is the Implicit messaging to the Fanuc and Motorman robots, Yaskawa VFD's and Yaskawa Servo's. We installed a system with multiple BRX PLC's in 2019 for the largest user of BRX for our company and they have performed very well but the complexity is changing on the new projects.  Please PM me if there is something we can do.

Thanks,
JW

I just started stress testing to determine how well we work under load and how many adapters we can support. It'll be a relationship between how fast you need data vs how many adapters you need vs how much data per adapter. Will probably try to characterize the scan bump for each of the load factors and give it a green/yellow/red indication on the config. User can then tune the message RPIs to balance responsiveness and load.

The stretch goal is 32 adapters with up to 8 messages per. Should know soon how viable that is.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DMD hanging up with more than one open
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 06:06:05 PM »
I would say a typical system for the customer that uses a lot of BRX is : (4 to10) VFD's 2 16bit words  in and 2 16 bit words out 100ms RPI each, (4) servo's with 64 32 bit words in and 64 32 bit words out 12ms RPI, (2) Fanuc R 30iA robots with 10 32 bit words in and 10 32 bit words out 10ms RPI, 4 Keyence barcode scanners we open TCP connections and stream in the data to a SL, 4 CMore HMI's.  we also message data between the BRX each system will have 8 PLC's we send about 50 D double words, 120 SS (ASCII) 50 R floating point. I use copper between the PLC and the switch and fiber between the switches. We will also have 2 Keyence MD-X2500 laser units with 160 16 bit words in and 144 16 bit words out 10ms RPI. I am able to do most of this with a BRX and explicit messaging the Robots are a work a round and the laser will not work. I had to use a AB and set the BRX up as remote I/O currently. Most system will be much small for a single machine however we normally tie all of the PLC's together to share data if there is more than one machine on the line. I hope this information is useful.
Thanks,
JW
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:59:09 AM by jwbaker3 »