News:

  • September 29, 2026, 07:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User Advice  (Read 10525 times)

dmac21

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
New User Advice
« on: December 07, 2023, 02:03:02 PM »
Hello All. New user here. Started with a new company recently, and trying to show them what can be done with a PLC vs paying (A LOT) more for LabView and CRIO modules. My experience is all with RA, but for pricing purposes, I wanted to look at a cheaper alternative to reduce the huge sticker shock of a RA system. During all of my research, I narrowed it down to Productivity and BRX controllers, but I really like the capabilities of the BRX (Do-more!) product vs the productivity line. However, I am used to a more packaged solution for HMI/SCADA solution (FTVIEW ME and SE). What are some good solutions for this with the BRX controllers? I have tried to used AdvancedHMI , but I can't get it to communicate using just the Do-More! Simulator over modbus tcp which a few videos online show can be done. What do you use with the BRX's? Is there any software that can E/IP packages that can communicate with the BRX's without much work on the Engineering side?

Thank you in advanced!
DM

RBPLC

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 586
Re: New User Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 05:36:44 PM »
Ignition is hands down the most favored SCADA/HMI product on the market right now by a long shot. AdvancedHMI will work, your setup probably has an issue. Both of these will require the use of Modbus. VTSCADA is free for up to 50 tags. Redlion and Maple Systems have HMIs that will natively communicate with the BRX, but only the built-in memory types.

rlp122

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 92
Re: New User Advice
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:17:55 PM »
I'd suggest taking a look at the BRX user manual on how to use MODBUS; Chapters 12 and/or 13.

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/brxuserm/brxuserm.html

mhw

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 250
Re: New User Advice
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 06:47:55 AM »
I have several sites where I use FTView. KEPserver has drivers that will access the legacy legacy DL memory (DLX, DLY, DLC, DLV). They also have a driver that can access the MODBUS memory (MC,MI,MHR, MIR).

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: New User Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 12:30:13 PM »
I pretty much ONLY use Modbus with BRX.   Azeotech DAQ Factory for PC based.   Pretty much any hardware HMI you want, though I prefer Idec.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Garyhlucas

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 421
Re: New User Advice
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 02:37:54 PM »
I've been using BRX since they first came out and I am really thrilled with the cost/performance ratio and high level function blocks offered.  Also using C-More and now the CM5-7" which is just about the most bang for the buck.  I have often used the remote app on a cell phone too.