News:

  • September 28, 2026, 12:15:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feature request -- direct monic entry/paste  (Read 8236 times)

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Feature request -- direct monic entry/paste
« on: October 30, 2023, 02:49:09 PM »
Not sure if I've ever mentioned this topic before, but RS500 supports editing rung monics, whether as an edit of an existing rung, from-scratch entry, or even clipboard paste, even for multiple rungs.   I really like it, in fact, starting on an empty rung, hitting <enter> to get into text edit mode, typing the rung structure in monics, then going back to GUI mode to enter addresses, is my default edit mode for SLCs.

I'd really like to have this in DMD, I think users would find it super convenient.    I attached a shot of a rung in RS500 open for text editing.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Feature request -- direct monic entry/paste
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 03:22:03 PM »
We haven't heard for much interest in an IL editor, or an inline one.

IEC-61131 removed IL from their language set.  IL is not on the radar currently (although it is supported via Import and Insert Instructions).

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Feature request -- direct monic entry/paste
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 03:52:22 PM »
Hmmm.   Not sure if there's a distinction between IL and the monic form of ladder.   For Siemens that's two different things (which I know because not all IL will translate into ladder).   And for AB, there's no persistent IL display per se, it's just a ladder entry shortcut, whether for keyboard use, or external text manipulation.

I'm not seeing this as a request to work in IL exactly, though maybe that's what it is, just more efficient ladder entry/management.

Thanks!
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Feature request -- direct monic entry/paste
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 04:39:12 PM »
Hmmm.   Not sure if there's a distinction between IL and the monic form of ladder.   For Siemens that's two different things (which I know because not all IL will translate into ladder).   And for AB, there's no persistent IL display per se, it's just a ladder entry shortcut, whether for keyboard use, or external text manipulation.

For most implementations, LD => IL, but definitely not all IL => LD.  Same is true of C++ => Assembly, but not Assembly => C++.  Same concept.

Quote
I'm not seeing this as a request to work in IL exactly, though maybe that's what it is, just more efficient ladder entry/management.
Tomayto, Tomahto.  It's the low level mnemonics that LD translates to.