News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trouble with e mail  (Read 1857 times)

maciek

trouble with e mail
« on: May 18, 2023, 10:36:07 PM »
error accessing DNS server in email
DNS lookup in email failed
this is the error message
i tested the email connection and ever thing was good
would windows defender firewall wave anything to do with it
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:53:55 PM by maciek »

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: trouble with e mail
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:25:51 AM »
error accessing DNS server in email
DNS lookup in email failed
this is the error message
i tested the email connection and ever thing was good
would windows defender firewall wave anything to do with it
The error simply means that when you set up your SMTP Device in the System Configuration, you selected "Use Server Name", for your SMTP Server Address. Thus, when you executed your EMAIL instruction, the BRX PLC had to ask the DNS Server you have configured to resolve that name to an IP address. This query failed for some reason. Make sure you have the DNS IP address configured for your BRX's Ethernet port. If you have that set up and you can ping that address, then you might have to do something else to see the details of what is happening. But no, the Windows Defender Firewall has nothing to do with it.

The Test settings button in the Edit SMTP Client Settings configuration uses your PC's DNS server settings to test (among other things). The EMAIL instruction, however, uses the DNS server address you have configured in your BRX PLC settings.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

Kristjan

• Idnadartaekni ehf
Re: trouble with e mail
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 08:53:07 AM »
It shouldn't hurt power cycling the PLC.
I was struggling with the EMAIL instructions a few weeks ago. We tried both server name and IP-address of the SMTP server in the EMAIL instruction but the instruction never succeeded. Then I power cycled the PLC and it has been working ever since.