News:

  • September 28, 2026, 03:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BX-APAD in last "slot"  (Read 16769 times)

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
BX-APAD in last "slot"
« on: May 04, 2022, 01:56:18 PM »
I'm using three BX-APAD modules to replace BX-08AD-3 and BX-08DA-3 modules while I wait for ADC to have more in stock. System is 3 total racks (one master BX-M-D and three remote BX-DMIO). I've never used the BX-APAD modules before, but two of them seem to work flawlessly (in the local as slots 1 and 2). The third is in the last rack (remote rack 2) in the last slot and isn't being recognized. The PLC won't go into run because the BX-08AD-3 module is missing. Is there some rule against using a BX-APAD in the last slot?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 03:34:14 PM »
I'm using three BX-APAD modules to replace BX-08AD-3 and BX-08DA-3 modules while I wait for ADC to have more in stock. System is 3 total racks (one master BX-M-D and three remote BX-DMIO). I've never used the BX-APAD modules before, but two of them seem to work flawlessly (in the local as slots 1 and 2). The third is in the last rack (remote rack 2) in the last slot and isn't being recognized. The PLC won't go into run because the BX-08AD-3 module is missing. Is there some rule against using a BX-APAD in the last slot?

It might be because it's remote...might be a bug in the remote I/O config.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »
I'm using three BX-APAD modules to replace BX-08AD-3 and BX-08DA-3 modules while I wait for ADC to have more in stock. System is 3 total racks (one master BX-M-D and three remote BX-DMIO). I've never used the BX-APAD modules before, but two of them seem to work flawlessly (in the local as slots 1 and 2). The third is in the last rack (remote rack 2) in the last slot and isn't being recognized. The PLC won't go into run because the BX-08AD-3 module is missing. Is there some rule against using a BX-APAD in the last slot?

It might be because it's remote...might be a bug in the remote I/O config.

Just tried it and confirmed the BX-APAD works correctly in the last slot of the master rack. Looks like you're probably on to something.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:35:37 PM »
Just tried it and confirmed the BX-APAD works correctly in the last slot of the master rack. Looks like you're probably on to something.

I kinda have a bad feeling that support for APAD didn't make it into the EBC/DMIO. Unfortunately the author of said firmware is on vacation through next week, so I may not have an answer until then.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:57:48 PM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »
Just tried it and confirmed the BX-APAD works correctly in the last slot of the master rack. Looks like you're probably on to something.

I kinda have a bad feeling that support for APAD didn't make it into the EBC/MDIO. Unfortunately the author of said firmware is on vacation through next week, so I may not have an answer until then.

No worries. Thankfully my card layout puts the missing cards in the local rack and the last slot of the last remote rack. The APADs are working perfectly in the local rack and since the only other one is the last slot of the last rack it?s easy enough to add it to the code later. I?ll be commissioning the system (everything except the analog stuff) next week with a follow up once I get the analog cards (hopefully by the first of June 🤞🏼)

jrayb

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 46
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 12:28:43 PM »
Would there by any chance be a bug on remote DMIO units not recognizing 24VDC present at analog input cards? I have two remote DMIO's with BX-16AD-1 analog input cards & i'm getting a warning that 24VDC is missing, which it's not missing.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »
Would there by any chance be a bug on remote DMIO units not recognizing 24VDC present at analog input cards? I have two remote DMIO's with BX-16AD-1 analog input cards & i'm getting a warning that 24VDC is missing, which it's not missing.

DMIO firmware up to date? That sounds familiar, but I thought it have been fixed.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 11:38:39 AM »
Just tried it and confirmed the BX-APAD works correctly in the last slot of the master rack. Looks like you're probably on to something.

I kinda have a bad feeling that support for APAD didn't make it into the EBC/DMIO. Unfortunately the author of said firmware is on vacation through next week, so I may not have an answer until then.

Any update on this? I'm starting to have BX-APADs crop up in more and more remote rack's while I wait on analog cards. So far I've still been able to control that they wind up the last card, but I don't know that I'll be able to guarantee that continues to be the case  :-\

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 05:49:35 PM »
I hate to keep beating on this, but I'm still having issues with the BX-APAD modules in remote racks.

From what I can tell the BX-APAD works to simulate a BX-16TR or a BX-16NA in a remote rack just fine, but does not work to simulate a BX-08AD-3. Additionally if I put an actual BX-08AD-3 in the rack and there is a BX-APAD immediately to the left of the BX-08AD-3 then the BX-APAD immediately to the left of the BX-08AD-3 doesn't work.

It also appears that if a BX-APAD is the last card in a remote rack then it doesn't work.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
I hate to keep beating on this, but I'm still having issues with the BX-APAD modules in remote racks.

From what I can tell the BX-APAD works to simulate a BX-16TR or a BX-16NA in a remote rack just fine, but does not work to simulate a BX-08AD-3. Additionally if I put an actual BX-08AD-3 in the rack and there is a BX-APAD immediately to the left of the BX-08AD-3 then the BX-APAD immediately to the left of the BX-08AD-3 doesn't work.

It also appears that if a BX-APAD is the last card in a remote rack then it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure there was no effort to support it in remote racks. We're kinda pressed with keeping product in production though, so I'm not sure when we'll be able to do the work.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure there was no effort to support it in remote racks. We're kinda pressed with keeping product in production though, so I'm not sure when we'll be able to do the work.

No worries! I'd much rather y'all focus on production than this issue. Something for the proverbial back burner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the response!

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
No worries! I'd much rather y'all focus on production than this issue. Something for the proverbial back burner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the response!

Talked about it today. Will investigate, but no promises.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
Talked about it today. Will investigate, but no promises.
Y'all rock! I was serious that this isn't a high priority for me, but if it turns out to be simple then I'll be very grateful for y'all looking into it. If it's something that looks like Pandora's box then leave it alone and stay focused on production. If y'all can't build product I can't buy it and if I can't buy it I've got nothing to sell to my customers either ;)

MarkTTU

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 293
    • SamJackson.com
Re: BX-APAD in last "slot"
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
Little update because I just ran into it. Looks like the real issue I'm having with the BX-APAD is when using it to simulate a BX-08AD-3 or BX-08DA-3. Working on a new project and was simply being lazy (didn't want to walk down three flights of stairs to go grab cards) and populated a single local rack with all BX-APAD cards just to test some touch screen <-> PLC stuff. Rack is supposed to be:

slot 1: BX-16ND3
slot 2: BX-16ND3
slot 3: BX-16ND3
slot 4: BX-16ND3
slot 5: BX-16TR
slot 6: BX-16TR
slot 7: BX-08AD-3
slot 8: BX-08DA-3

Currently I have all slots with a BX-APAD in them and when I connect to the PLC I get an error that the BX-08AD-3 and BX-08DA-3 cards are missing and will be disconnected.

Again no real rush on this, I'm going to walk down and grab a couple of cards from my inventory, but I thought I'd let y'all know what I've found.

PS> Running Do-more 2.9.0, OS 2.9.6, Booter 1.1.0, FPGA 1.15, Hardware 2A 3B