News:

  • September 28, 2026, 07:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRX Motion Control  (Read 7624 times)

Garyhlucas

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 421
BRX Motion Control
« on: January 28, 2022, 09:07:34 AM »
I am using a BRX 36 to control a 3 axis drilling machining.  The X axis Yaskawa servo which is using step and direction was working fine and yesterday it suddenly would move only in the forward direction.  I checked all the way to the CN1 connector pin and verified it is getting the signal for reverse.  This is the second drive that has done this, last time it was the Z axis.  Fortunately I had 2 spares.  However it has suddenly made me very aware of the hazard of step and direction.  A broken wire and bad stuff happens when 1000 lbs. suddenly goes in the wrong direction!

Can BRX put out high speed as quadrature?  It seems that would be much safer as pulsing one channel and not the other should result in little if any motion.  I believe the drives can accept quadrature inputs.  These Yaskawa drives are sold only in China and have a different part number than ones for the US market. 
So I am having a difficult time getting support as no one has a financial interest in helping us. 

This project is taking forever.  They gave me a chinese built machine with all kinds of mechanical and electrical issues. I've had to redesign it, build a whole new control system and complete guarding with 7 electrically interlocked doors, and automate the process while doing production maintenance because we are so short handed.

RBPLC

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 586
Re: BRX Motion Control
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
Yes. Available in the high speed config menu.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BRX Motion Control
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:56:48 AM »
Yes, as RBPLC already mentioned, it's on the axis config page.

We originally added that to simplify testing, then realized it made electronic gearing possible and kept it. Haven't heard whether it is widely used, but I'm sure it does get used occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:11:56 PM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: BRX Motion Control
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:41:24 PM »
I've used the quadrature output to drive a Yaskawa A1000 with Electronic Line Shaft firmware and second encoder card
for a traverse on a winder.

It looks like step/direction for the Yaskawa servos I have done, but that was CTRIO2 cards anyway.