News:

  • October 09, 2026, 03:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer  (Read 8348 times)

JeffS

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 113
High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
So I have been messing around with the BX-DM1-18ER-D and using the dual edge timers.  From what I can see I can only have one active timer at a time, if two HS timers are enabled then they both accumulate if either is triggered.  This is a problem as I need to have two independent timers.  Am I doing something wrong, or can there only be one active HS timer?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
So I have been messing around with the BX-DM1-18ER-D and using the dual edge timers.  From what I can see I can only have one active timer at a time, if two HS timers are enabled then they both accumulate if either is triggered.  This is a problem as I need to have two independent timers.  Am I doing something wrong, or can there only be one active HS timer?

You are probably driving them with the same input.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

JeffS

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 113
Re: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
Both use independent inputs.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
Both use independent inputs.

That setup worked fine for me (my Xs and Ys are looped). Might be some crosstalk or noise on the inputs. Make sure your filter setting is appropriate.

"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

JeffS

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 113
Re: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
I had my filter set to 1us on these inputs.  Looking at the sensors I ended up moving it back to default of 10ms and that seems to work just fine.  Thanks for pointing me at the filters.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: High Speed Timer - Dual Edge Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
I had my filter set to 1us on these inputs.  Looking at the sensors I ended up moving it back to default of 10ms and that seems to work just fine.  Thanks for pointing me at the filters.

Fast = Sensitive. Just one of those engineering trade-offs.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO