News:

• February 05, 2023, 07:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Import Comments and Synonyms from TISoft files. (Resolved)  (Read 1692 times)

Kirwan

Import Comments and Synonyms from TISoft files. (Resolved)
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Hello!
I am trying to rescue a bunch of programs from an ancient laptop running TISoft 2.2 in (of course) DOS on Win98.
DirectSoft does a pretty nice job of importing the .VPU files and the ladder logic, however, comments and synonyms are imported by way of .txt or .csv, neither of which this version of TISoft can generate.
Is there a utility available that can convert the .syn files from TISoft or some other way to accomplish what I need here?
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:34:42 PM by Kirwan »

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: Import Comments and Synonyms from TISoft files.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
When you open your TISOFT project, those should come in with the code when you open the .vpu file.  Do you have all of the other project file extensions in the same folder (can't remember the TISOFT extensions for rung comments and synonyms)?

Those .txt/.csv import mechanisms are for Excel or other DirectSOFT projects.  TISOFT should "just work" (assuming you have ALL the files, NOT JUST THE .VPU files)

MyOldProj.vpu
Other MyOldProj project files:
MyOldProj.snn  // synonym extension, whatever that is - can't remember
MyOldProj.lcm  // ladder comment extension, whatever that is - can't remember
MyOldProj.vm  // v memory data extension, whatever that is - can't remember
MyOldProj.??? // bunch of other extension files

Are you missing all these other "extensions"?

Kirwan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
That is what I thought too from reading the import instructions in the docs. I have all the files in the same directory as the .VPU file - .SYN, .CMT etc. The synonyms display can be toggled on/off within TISoft so I know the files aren't empty, but they don't display in the imported DS project in ladder view. Is there perhaps a view option I'm missing to display them? I checked all the boxes in View>>Options>>Ladder.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
So they show up in TISOFT but not in DirectSOFT?   ???

You may have to export them from TISOFT (is that supported?)  Then try to massage the comment .TXT file and "synonym" .TXT file to look like a DirectSOFT export, then try to import them into DirectSOFT.

Kirwan

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
Thanks for your help. This issue is resolved. I discovered I had two different backups with the same file name. One had the synonyms and the other had an empty file. The one accessed by the installation of TISoft had them. So when I managed to network the old laptop and compare the two files, I found that the synonyms would transfer over. I'm very pleased to be able to use a modern computer with these old programs. Thanks!

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: Import Comments and Synonyms from TISoft files. (Resolved)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 05:22:15 PM »
I worked on the Koyo TISOFT back in the late '80's.  However, I wasn't at Host yet when they originally did DirectSOFT w/the Koyo TISOFT import mechanism (although I'm sort-of familiar with the TISOFT side, but I've slept since then - 50% more than Rip Van Winkle! 30 years!).