News:

  • September 30, 2026, 09:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Breakpoints in the debugger  (Read 7772 times)

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Breakpoints in the debugger
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »
Is there any chance we may see breakpoints in debug mode? Now that we're using stage programming it makes sense (to me) to be able to stop execution at a particular stage (or better yet, rung) so that variables can be inspected. I know that we can disable stages and there's always END but if I just want to look at something as it iterates through a loop (for example) I'd love to be able to stop execution at a particular rung, inspect my values, and then move on to the next iteration.

Andrew.


BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Breakpoints in the debugger
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »
Is there any chance we may see breakpoints in debug mode? Now that we're using stage programming it makes sense (to me) to be able to stop execution at a particular stage (or better yet, rung) so that variables can be inspected. I know that we can disable stages and there's always END but if I just want to look at something as it iterates through a loop (for example) I'd love to be able to stop execution at a particular rung, inspect my values, and then move on to the next iteration.

Andrew.

Never put much thought into it, but I suppose it could be done.

For stage I always add a contact to gate the transition condition and hold it at a particular state until I've seen what I needed to see. Makes it easy to step through sequences in human time.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: Breakpoints in the debugger
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
I hadn't thought of doing it that way. I'll give it a go.