News:

  • September 30, 2026, 06:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code  (Read 14348 times)

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
I've not managed to figure out how to map an address from an error message to the line of code that's causing it. What am I missing?
For instance, if I get an error "Operation timed out in STREAMIN @000000B1" how do I know which STREAMIN command is causing that error?

Thanks, Andrew.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
I've not managed to figure out how to map an address from an error message to the line of code that's causing it. What am I missing?
For instance, if I get an error "Operation timed out in STREAMIN @000000B1" how do I know which STREAMIN command is causing that error?

Thanks, Andrew.

I usually just click the 'Goto' button in the Info dialog. Barring that, the Goto dialog (Ctrl^G) has an address option.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
Gotcha. I'd tried that but what threw me was that I couldn't input a hex address. Once I converted it to decimal it works just fine.

Any chance of a toggle in the Goto dialog to allow Hex value input? That would save me from having to translate it each time.

Andrew.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Gotcha. I'd tried that but what threw me was that I couldn't input a hex address. Once I converted it to decimal it works just fine.

Any chance of a toggle in the Goto dialog to allow Hex value input? That would save me from having to translate it each time.

Andrew.

Is the info dialog not a much easier answer?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
And to add to the Info dialog thing, all you have to do is click the yellow "Warning" on the status bar. It takes you straight to the status page of the info dialog, where double clicking on the error line will take you to the code.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Yes it's easier. Thanks Bob.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »
Yes it's easier. Thanks Bob.

And I wasn't trying to be snarky about it, just wanted to make sure that you knew what was there...thus preventing us from doing work to give you a poorer solution than what you already have. ;)

The only time I have personally ever used the goto address was to debug an internal controller issue, where all I had was a raw global address.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
It's all good. I'd looked at that screen previously but hadn't joined the dots. Every day I learn something :)

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Mapping ERR message addresses to ladder code
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
It's all good. I'd looked at that screen previously but hadn't joined the dots. Every day I learn something :)

I honestly wish users asked more questions. We don't know what they don't know (or need) until they ask, and they often learn something when they do...win/win.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO