News:

  • September 30, 2026, 05:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Net edit failed to connect to BRX  (Read 12358 times)

DLTimmons

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 232
Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« on: August 22, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »
I have an old XP laptop running 2.6 and I could not connect to a new BRX. It would not show up on netedit. Had to get a Win 7 laptop. I connected to several D2 unit with this laptop running 1.2.

Is this normal?

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »
Try running 2.6.  The new Connect to PLC dialog has some advanced searching capabilities.  New PLCs that do not have any IP settings will be highlighted.

You may need to select the specific Ethernet (NIC) card.

See the attached screenshot.

DLTimmons

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 232
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »
Was running 2.6 on the old laptop had use 1.2 in the past with it. It does not show up there or in netedit. Connect with a different PC set the IP address and it still does not show up. Went in netedit and done a connect single and put in the IP address and it connected and created a name. it now show up in the Select PLC Connection
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:46:04 AM by DLTimmons »

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
I also could not get XP in NetEdit or v2.6 Select PLC Connection to see a brand new out of the box BRX on the Ethernet port a few days ago..

I also had to enter the MAC address and do the single IP.

But I also have 4 different subnets configured for the same physical port. This usually works very well for me due to OEMs using 192.168.0.xxx, general use at .1. and work network on .3. along with a whole different one for another vendor's default.

NetEdit 3 will allow me to choose any of those "adapters" on TCP/IP, but couldn't see the PLC with no IP address.

Select PLC Connection can see the PLC now that it has an IP, but won't let me select the "adapter" I need so is stuck at .0. But it still connects and works anyway.

I didn't try to use a different windows version as I just needed to get on with it (and Windows XP is not supported anyway.)

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
But I also have 4 different subnets configured for the same physical port.

I am pretty sure that we only look at the "first" subnet on a card.  This "4 different subnets on the same physical port" - is this ONLY on the XP system, or you typically do this on all your other PCs?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
And just for reference, all of this became a problem when Windows started arbitrarily deciding which NIC to send broadcasts out. They previously broadcast on all. What the Pick-a-NIC feature does is binds to the specified adapter, which 'guarantees' the broadcast goes out that adapter. Mostly.

We really want these things to work, but MS has made it a moving target.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

DLTimmons

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 232
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »


I also had to enter the MAC address and do the single IP.



How did you get it to take a MAC address?

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »


I also had to enter the MAC address and do the single IP.



How did you get it to take a MAC address?

Windows Start Menu
Programs
AutomationDirect Tools
IPConfig

Or in Dmd
Launchpad
Applications
IPConfig

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Net edit failed to connect to BRX
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »
But I also have 4 different subnets configured for the same physical port.

I am pretty sure that we only look at the "first" subnet on a card.  This "4 different subnets on the same physical port" - is this ONLY on the XP system, or you typically do this on all your other PCs?

Mostly only on the desktop because it stays in place. Laptops are constantly on various customer networks so there is no point in trying to do this with them.

IPConfig does allow me to select the "adapter" (including web-based VPNs (not that I would)), so it was the obvious tool outside of serial or USB. I already know USB is not a good choice in XP with the newer firmware revs.

Bonus tip: Keep the BX or H2 box handy until you get the IP configured as it is MUCH easier to read the MAC address (Serial Number).