News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:02:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Change Modbus port no.  (Read 6210 times)

MKL

Change Modbus port no.
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
i just read the topic about changing the UDP port number of the ecom100 module, and the advantages/disadvantages of it. But is it possible to change the modbus port no. 502 in for example 8000? I have a touchscreen that uses the modbus protocol on port 8000

best regards.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Change Modbus port no.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »
Given that Modbus is not required for configuration, that would be much easier to justify...it'd be much harder to hurt yourself.

Does the panel itself not allow changes? Ports generally equate to specific services, and it seems strange that a device wouldn't minimally support the standard port, and then optionally allow changing it...  :-\
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MKL

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »
No, if i want to have the panel act as a modbusserver i have to access it by port 8000. Port 502 is used to communicate with for example a plc or other modbus devices, but if i want to change the local bits/words of the screens i have to do it through port 8000

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:48:27 PM »
So the panel is the slave, and the ECOM100 is the master?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MKL

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
Yes, the advantage of this is that the panel has more capacity, more memory and some other stuff (like connection to a USB barcodescanner without the length limit). And if i use it as a master on port 8000 it can be also on the same time a slave on port 502:)
 BTW: i was just looking at the peer to peer configuration in Netedit..

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:35:43 PM »
...which is where I was about to go. In order for the PLC to master, you have to setup the peer table, which allows you to change the port. Problem solved?

MKL

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:18:50 PM »
Yes, that do the trick ;D Many thanx for you're help leading me to this for me unknown option :)