News:

  • October 02, 2026, 11:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remotely updating firmware  (Read 6398 times)

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Remotely updating firmware
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
I have a project that will put BRX-based devices out in the field where I'm not going to be able to physically reach them. I've got a process that updates the program code remotely but I'm concerned that I'm going to get locked in to whatever firmware version the system ships with.

1. What are the restrictions about loading programs across different firmware versions? I'm guessing this is a no-no?
2. Is there any kind of mechanism to allow firmware to be updated remotely? I have no VPN access to these devices but they'll all have an SDCard and I can command them to do stuff remotely.

Andrew.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Remotely updating firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »
Newer firmware is fine. Downgrading is potentially bad. If you target a local development system with the oldest firmware you have in the field, DmD will prevent you from using features unsupported by that version.

There is currently no SDCard mechanism for firmware update.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO