News:

  • October 02, 2026, 05:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion - create a PDF of DMD Help  (Read 7225 times)

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Suggestion - create a PDF of DMD Help
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
I use a Mac for most of my work. Many times I've wanted to reference the DMD Help but I can't. There are a few tools out there that allow a CHM to be opened in a Mac but they're mostly not very reliable based on what I've read.

Would it be possible to generate a PDF (or set of PDFs) containing the content of the DMD Help, that can be downloaded from the web? I'd find this really useful.

Thanks, Andrew.

Bolt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 598
Re: Suggestion - create a PDF of DMD Help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 06:31:15 PM »
Or how about a web based help file?  A PDF of that magnitude would be hard to load/sort/search/find things in.  But creating a web based help doesn't work for those that need to develop a program while without internet access.

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Suggestion - create a PDF of DMD Help
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
In Windows 10 I can print the Help File Sections as PDF.
Open the Help File (from the Start Menu, by itself, not from DmD was what I did.)
Right Click a topic (e.g. Instruction Set)
Select Print
Select Print the selected heading and all subtopics. Then Click OK.
Choose Microsoft Print to PDF, All, and click Print.

Now sit back and wait and wait and wait until you see the Save Print Output As box and enter a file name.
Now sit back and wait and wait and wait until it completes.
Rinse and repeat for the other headings.

The Instruction Set PDF alone came out as 72,748 KB and 970 pages.

But still, you can do it. No hyperlinks though. BTW, it will open an HTML help file window during all this. It does have hyperlinks, but they don't necessarily work.

You can also go to the options tab in the first Print window and include all the linked documents. It appears to try to go out to the web and grab these, but I'm not swearing to that.