News:

  • October 02, 2026, 02:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Email Success, but not really  (Read 11758 times)

OrionHE

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 90
Email Success, but not really
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
I did some testing with a machine that won't send emails. I am building my own SMTP device at runtime. The email box tells me success every time, but I never get the test email. I even put in some bogus ports to send mail over (110, which is incoming, so it should be rejected), Do-more is happy as a clam. I don't have local access to the network, so I can't run do-more logger. How might I find out why this machine is content to report false successes?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
All of the messages that get sent to the logger are also being written to MSG/ERR, so LastMSG0-7 and LastERR0-7 provide a small post mortem. You can also use PLC code to copy those elsewhere to minimize the number of messages lost.

I would make sure that the result flags aren't being written anywhere else, and I would watch the result flags as the instruction runs to make sure that both go off when the email is triggered and one goes on when it completes.

"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

OrionHE

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 90
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »
The LastMSG strings only report SMTP connecting, and SMTP connected. Nothing in between. The success and error bits aren?t used elsewhere. The lag is bad enough that I can?t tell if the success bit resets on new attempts.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »
The LastMSG strings only report SMTP connecting, and SMTP connected. Nothing in between. The success and error bits aren?t used elsewhere. The lag is bad enough that I can?t tell if the success bit resets on new attempts.

There wouldn't be anything in between, but there should be a whole lot after. If it is falling into a success path without actually completing, that sounds like a bug.

Is this 2.6.1? What server are are you connecting to? Secure, etc?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

OrionHE

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 90
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
CPU is do-more version 2.0.0

Is there a safe way to do firmware updates over a VPN? I'm happy to update it as long as I don't brick it.

Email server is a webhost, using plain text, unsecure for simplicity's sake.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »
CPU is do-more version 2.0.0

Is there a safe way to do firmware updates over a VPN? I'm happy to update it as long as I don't brick it.

Email server is a webhost, using plain text, unsecure for simplicity's sake.

Ew. It might work, but if it hangs you'll have no way to get it back without being there. The update routine is pretty robust, but I'm not sure I'd risk it.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

TheGreatMarklar

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 18
    • Rix Industries
Re: Email Success, but not really
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Is there a safe way to do firmware updates over a VPN? I'm happy to update it as long as I don't brick it.

Any firmware update where you are not connected directly to the hardware is risky. However, I have not had any problems updating Do-more firmware over a VPN. The couple of times it has failed part way through, a second attempt has succeeded. As long as the VPN connection is stable, it should work fine. (Use at your own risk, your mileage may vary, etc. :P )