News:

  • September 29, 2026, 09:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)  (Read 8805 times)

sgsims

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 127
Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
Any plans to support EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)

I'd like to start using some of the I/O blocks from Murr that speak Ethernet I/P (Implicit Messaging)  with the Do More of Course

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
Yes. Not in the upcoming release (next month), but hopefully the next one later this year.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Sweet!  That's gonna be a big deal (especially for AB retrofits)
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
Oh good. I was just about to ask about an issue involving VFDs that don't see a missing master (client) as a problem when using explicit messaging. ABB mentions something about that not being a part of the EtherNet/IP spec and has a parameter to force the drive to fault if no messages come in after it was told to run. But I am not playing with an ABB drive.

The Yaskawa will fault if it loses the connection from an implicit controller, but not from Do-more/BRX explicit messages loss (unless the patch cable from the Ethernet switch to the VFD is unplugged, which is a very limited cause.) Modbus/TCP master loss WOULD fault it, but that's a different card.

So, in the meantime, is there any way to make a server(slave) device know it lost a connection and not that it was closed? The browser web page for the Yaskawa SI-EN3 doesn't even show a connection in the network status even though the BRX is sending it read/writes 135 times per second. A connection from a CompactLogix shows up just fine.

sgsims

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 127
Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
That's Huge...thanks BobO!