News:

  • September 29, 2026, 11:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D  (Read 15091 times)

MVetrano

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 27
Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I've been working on this project for a few months now with no connection problems.
I'm using DoMore Designer 2.3 connecting to a BX-DM1-18ED1-D via a USB POM.
I haven't been able to connect to the BRX for 2 weeks now. I tried using a new programming cable and USB POM but still have problems. I can use the same Laptop to connect to a DoMore CPU on another machine with no problems. I have checked the setup for the POM and it looks correct. I have noticed a few things: 1. Opening DoMore Designer takes longer than usual(about 30-45 seconds)
2. Saving a small project(less than 200 lines of code) takes about the same time.
3.With the project open, I click PLC-Connect and nothing happens (no change to the screen).
4.I can select my link and click Edit then Blink and the BRX will flash the ERR light. If I click Open, the project disappears and a blank message box appears titled "Loading" and the program freezes.

I can replace the USB POM with a RS232 POM and communicate with the HMI.
I'm missing something simple, just don't know what it is. Any suggestions?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:52:54 PM »
First question that comes to mind is what is the PLC's scan time? Is it super high?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MVetrano

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 27
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
I have no idea, where do I find that?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
I have no idea, where do I find that?

System info dialog or $ScanTime (DST1).
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

MVetrano

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 27
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:56 PM »
System Information under Tools in Project Browser is grayed out.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
Doh...sorry. You aren't connected. ::)

If it is a scan time thing, the PLC should become more responsive when you go to program mode. Use the mode switch to change the mode to program and see if it gets better.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

ADC Product Engineer

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 270
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Also be sure that you have the PLC grounded, preferably to the same potential as the PC.  USB does care about grounding.

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »

MVetrano

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 27
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 06:56:17 PM »
Yes that thread sounds rings a bell, did you ever find a solution? I'm still having connection problems, both USB and RS 485.
I can connect if the BRX is in program mode when I try to connect. I can connect and disconnect with no problems as long as I don't close DM Designer.
Once I close the program, I have to restart my laptop, switch to program mode and connect. That works most of the time, but sometimes I end up uninstalling DM Designer and reinstalling it. It's a pain, but at least I can get some work done now.

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
Yes that thread sounds rings a bell, did you ever find a solution?

Sorta - I gave up on USB with Windows XP. Serial or Ethernet works fine.

Windows 7 and USB works fine (except for Windows 7 constantly going off into daydreams for a bit, but that's a Microsoft thing.)

Windows 10, I haven't tried with USB as I refuse to invest time installing software Microsoft is just going to break every month or two with forced "updates". I do run VMs under W10 though, just not W10 VMs.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Can't Connect to Brx BX-DM1-18ED1-D
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
Yes that thread sounds rings a bell, did you ever find a solution? I'm still having connection problems, both USB and RS 485.
I can connect if the BRX is in program mode when I try to connect. I can connect and disconnect with no problems as long as I don't close DM Designer.
Once I close the program, I have to restart my laptop, switch to program mode and connect. That works most of the time, but sometimes I end up uninstalling DM Designer and reinstalling it. It's a pain, but at least I can get some work done now.

Yuk. The switching to program mode greatly reduces the PLC’s scan time, but if you are having to shut stuff down and reboot, there is definitely an operating system goober causing issues. Never stops. Always something.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:32:59 AM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO