News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Directsoft V6.3 Installation Issues  (Read 3199 times)

gmt

Directsoft V6.3 Installation Issues
« on: February 01, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »
I am looking for help installing Directsoft V6.3. When launching the setup file the User Account Control screen opens with the message "Do you want to  allow this app to make changes to your device" When i select yes the user account screen closes and nothing happens. I am able to install V6.1a but not V6.2 or V6.3. Operating system is Windows 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: Directsoft V6.3 Installation Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
As of 6.2 (and 6.3), the installation goes to your Program Files folder, not the root C:.

You may need to run the installation "as Administrator".  Right click on the Setup.exe, and select "Run As Administrator" and see if that works.  This is different than running it normally when logged in as an administrator user.  Security on Windows has gotten tighter and tighter, hence these changes/requirements.

gmt

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Tried running the setup file as administrator and waited over an hour. Still nothing. Never even got to the screen requesting the activation code. The setup file that I am using is SetupDS6-R63-300.exe.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
You may need to disable your anti-virus software.  We have seen situations where anti-virus is tight, so it must be disabled in order to install.

I would recommend disconnecting your PC from the Internet, reboot, disable your anti-virus, then install (as Admin).

Hopefully, if/when that works, re-enable your anti-virus then reconnect to the Internet.

gmt

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Thanks for the help. Tried all of the above with no luck.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »
You might try deleting temporary files. To do this, in your Search at the bottom left of Win10, just type in "delete temporary files". You should see a System Settings "delete temporary files" icon that you can execute. Select that. It should pull up a dialog that allows you to remove temporary files. You can uncheck everything except, make sure the "Temporary files" is checked. Press the <Remove files> button. After this is done, reboot your PC, and try to run the setup as Admin again, as franji1 suggested above.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

gmt

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply Greg. Still no luck. 

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
gmt, can you try another PC just for a test?
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

gmt

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
Just installed it on another laptop with no problems. Unfortunately, I need to get it working on the machine I normally work with. If you come up with any other ideas it would be appreciated. Thanks for your help so far.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:04:36 AM »
gmt, thanks for your patience and for testing that. So, obviously, there is some issue with this particular PC. A few years ago there was an issue with WinXP PCs where customers would attempt to start DirectSOFT5 and nothing would happen; much like your symptom of trying to start the install with nothing happening. We called that issue, "do-nothing DirectSOFT" and found that it was one of 3 things: It was a permission issue, a security issue, or an actual crash.

I created an FAQ for these issues. It is DirectSOFT FAQ0212 (http://www.hosteng.com/FAQFiles/DirectSOFT.htm#FAQ0212). You can browse there by going to http://www.hosteng.com, and in the left column, click on FAQs, select DirectSOFT as the product, and scroll down to FAQ0212.

Please try the things suggested there and let us know how it goes.