News:

  • October 01, 2026, 10:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MC memory  (Read 11881 times)

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
MC memory
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
Can I use MC memory bits like C memory bits? I see they are user memory but when I use them it has Modbus on the description.

Thanks,
JW

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: MC memory
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
If you need more C bits, just allocate more C bits.

MC are publicly readable/writable Modbus Coil memory when Do-more is a slave to a Modbus Master that is reading or writing Modbus Coils.

To allocate more C bits, go to PLC->System Configuration... Memory Configuration entry, look for the C bit block, Edit, then change the range to as big a number as you need.

Just about every user block can be modified.  Need more Timers?  Need more Counters?  Need more V memory?  Even more MC bits?  Just go to that same Memory Block page and edit the specific block.

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: MC memory
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Thanks, I will make a new named memory blocks. I don't want more C bits (I know how to increase them) I want memory with another name for my touch screen and other functions, so when I look at the program I can tell where the information is coming from.  This is something I do on other brands and I know I can make my own memory blocks in the Do More so I saw the MC as user  bit memory and tough I may be able to use it. I normally use different bit names for the touch screen, one shots, subroutine latches, etc. so when I see the name (X,Y,C,TS,CO,etc.) I know where it is from, I find it is easier for our customers to follow the program if they need to troubleshoot the machine.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: MC memory
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 07:57:06 AM »
Perfect!  Well named blocks are better than using a sub range of C (or D or V)

User Data Types take this concept to the next level with well named structure fields, then creating heap items or memory data blocks of your UDT(s).

mhw

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 250
Re: MC memory
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:36:41 AM »
I use the DLX and DLY for my HMI. It has the added benefit of being able to be used by KEP. The down side is that it is octal.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: MC memory
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
I use the DLX and DLY for my HMI. It has the added benefit of being able to be used by KEP. The down side is that it is octal.

Use Modbus.  It's sandboxed, like DL-memory and no octal.  Plus, I bet it's even a bit more widely supported than K-Sequence.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: MC memory
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
Use Modbus.  It's sandboxed, like DL-memory and no octal.  Plus, I bet it's even a bit more widely supported than K-Sequence.

But only slightly.  ;)
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: MC memory
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
I made new memory blocks with TS for all of the touch screen bits, AC for all of the auto cycle bits, PH for all of the preheat program bits, M for all of the manual bits. By doing this it makes it easer to follow the program. Our customers Maintenance guys like the way we separate the addresses by function. We have been doing it with AB with different binary and integers for each function on the SLC 500 and MLX, but it is nice on the Do More I can name the memory to represent the function more like the CLX.

JW