News:

  • October 02, 2026, 05:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper  (Read 11314 times)

amos

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 39
nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
  I have an issue getting the data from a GPS . I'm getting the data but it is not formated proper. When I first connected the domore to the unit I got the data as expected. The firmware on the PLC was 2.0 when it was working proper. I updated the firmware to 2.3 now I get some data but I can't read it. It seems the data string  is not a string. I figured it was the GPS unit but when I connect it to the computer using Putty the data is as expected. Has anybody tried to read data from a gps unit transmitting nmea0183? If I had firmware 2.0 I would try uploading to see if that really is the issue.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »
Serial or Ethernet? What instructions are you using to read? What has changed in the data? Give us as much detail as possible.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

amos

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 39
Re: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Connection is serial using streamin. I'm recieving 2 strings one is

$GPRMC,005008,V,5111.555555,N,09777.555555,W,000.02,185.3,280499,6.7,E,N*2F
$GPVTG,230.6,T,,,000.04,N,000.07,K,A*44
This is what is received using Putty  "The location are not real"

On the Domore I recieve
$GPM0656V500.55053N0956.5509000.63.60996.N9.
$GPVG3.6000.6N000.30KA0.

The PLC seems to read the data OK just not displaying proper. I'm not sure what's hapening here.



amos

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 39
Re: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
This is a description of the actual sentence.

RMC Sentence
(Recommended Minimum Specific GPS Data)
The RMC sentence identifies the UTC time, status, latitude,
longitude, speed over ground (SOG), date, and magnetic variation of
the position fix. The sentence structure is shown below:
$GPRMC,184804.00,A,3723.476543,N,12202.2397
45,W,000.0,0.0,051196,15.6,E*7C
Table D-13 describes the RMC sentence fields.
Table D-13 RMC Sentence Fields
Field Description
1 Time: UTC time of the position fix in hhmmss.ss format
2 Status
A: Valid
V: Navigation Receiver Warning (V is output whenever
the receiver suspects something is wrong)
3 Latitude coordinate (the number of decimal places, 0?7, is
programmable and determined by the numeric precision
selected in TSIP Talker for a RMC sentence)
4 Latitude direction: N = North, S = South
5 Longitude coordinate (the number of decimal places, 0?7,
is programmable and determined by the numeric precision
selected in TSIP Talker for a RMC sentence)
6 Longitude direction
W: West
E: East
7 Speed Over Ground (SOG) in knots (0?3 decimal places)
8 Track Made Good, True, in degrees
9 Date in dd/mm/yy format
10 Magnetic Variation in degrees
D-18 AgGPS 124/132 Operation Manual
NMEA-0183 Sentences D
11 Direction of magnetic variation
E: Easterly variation from True course (subtracts from
True course)
W: Westerly variation from True course (adds to True
course)
12 Mode Indication
A: Autonomous
D: Differential
N: Data not valid

amos

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 39
Re: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:07:10 PM »
Ok forget the posts I think I got it working.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: nmea 0183 string not displaying proper
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »
Ok forget the posts I think I got it working.

Awesome! We're always here to help though.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO