News:

  • October 01, 2026, 02:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BX-08THM Module Scaling  (Read 37912 times)

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
BX-08THM Module Scaling
« on: November 20, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
Using a Type T thermocouple in a glass of ice water.  In the Module Configuration it states  Units/Ct: 0.1 DegC
I am reading in 120 from WX1 , which should be 12.0 deg?   But my calibrator reads 1.2 deg C. 

Also turned on the scaling calibration with the default values and got 50.28387.  Shouldn't it be 0.01 DegC/Count?

Got another T type Thermocouple and tied it Channel 2  It shows 320 unscaled at room temp. My calibrator with another T  shows 21.9 dec C which is reasonable. Something is not right. Maybe the module is bad?  Brand new out of the box. Data changes, I get broken noitification, seems to be doing something, just not the right data.



« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:03:35 PM by ATU »

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
There was something broken in the configuration of one of the modules. It might have been that one. I'll check when I'm back at the office.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
I'm almost certain it was this module that had config issue. I'm struggling to identify exactly what issue was fixed, but this symptom sounds super familiar. I was thinking it was fixed in the latest releases, but since I'm not sure what it was, it's kinda hard to confirm. I'll check with others Monday.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks, I can wait. Just good to know something other than me might be messed up. Isn't the 8 position TC recently released?  I had an older version of DMD and only the 4 pos was listed.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Thanks, I can wait. Just good to know something other than me might be messed up. Isn't the 8 position TC recently released?  I had an older version of DMD and only the 4 pos was listed.


Yes, it was in the Phase II modules. Are you running the latest of everything now?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
DMD 2.3.2  and I will double check the CPU version when I get back in on Monday.  I am pretty sure I updated it at the same time, but will verify.

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
Do-More  2.3.0
OS 2.3.2
Booter 1.0.3
FPGA 1.8
Hardware 6A 5D

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »
It should be fixed in what you have. Delete your module config and recreate.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
Delete is grayed out in the module List and the I/O configuration. I have tried offline, online, Edit and non edit modes. Whats the trick? There are no references in my program.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
Can't not have one. Create a new one and reassign.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Ok, added new Cfg, replaced and deleted old, downloaded

added a 3rd J Type to the T's on 1 and 2
Verified all with a FLUKE HH506A digital Thermometer

Attached screen shot of cfg and watch window, the temp should be around 70 deg, what am I doing wrong?

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
 You have the DegF button selected (vs counts), but then are also asking to scale +/- 3276.4 -> 0-100F.  I'd think you have to do one or the other but not both, but then that still begs why your instruments are reporting anywhere from 74 to 100F.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

ATU

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2126
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
No difference selecting counts

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
In fact, the presence of that selection is in itself confusing.  It appears that, as is usually the case for a temperature module, the "counts" are already prescaled into temp EU.  Therefore, the option of scaling when the counts are already EU is odd, though I guess you might want to scale into something generic like 32-212F -> 0-100 (%) or something.  But....even if you allow for that, what do the DegF / Counts pushbuttons do, since the dialog, to the left, affirms that the counts are already in temperature units?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
No difference selecting counts

Oh, I see what it's for.  If you select DegF, that's why you get the decimal place in the WX in the dialog.  Still don't see why you're getting values from 74-100.

And that also answers why you'd want the scaling in the first place.  Despite the fact that if you select DegF button the WX display is -3276.8 to 3276.7, the ACTUAL counts are still 0.1F/C per count, so if you want a FP analog temp and you select DegF, you'll get a box scaled like 0.0 100.0 0.0 100.0, that doesn't look like it's doing anything, but is actually dividing by 10 to give actual temp in the RX (and possibly also for clamping).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:52:17 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.