News:

• February 05, 2023, 06:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECOM 100 failed during firmware update  (Read 2269 times)

sclrick

ECOM 100 failed during firmware update
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
I was updating the firmware on a H2-ECOM100 and the update ended with an error,  I did not note the error but now I cannot access the module.  The error light is flashing 2 blinks pause 2 blinks...  I spoke with AD and their tech support recommended setting dip switch 6 and cycling power.  That did not correct the issue.  Any ideas how to get the module back online?

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: ECOM 100 failed during firmware update
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »
If the leds are flashing, then at the very least it is running the bootloader and isn't bricked. Need to get you talking to a support guy here at Host...
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
I was updating the firmware on a H2-ECOM100 and the update ended with an error,  I did not note the error but now I cannot access the module.  The error light is flashing 2 blinks pause 2 blinks...  I spoke with AD and their tech support recommended setting dip switch 6 and cycling power.  That did not correct the issue.  Any ideas how to get the module back online?

That particular pattern of flashing lights just means the H2-ECOM100 is "stuck in the booter" because it cannot find a valid copy of firmware to run (obviously because it failed during the update attempt).

The first thing to try is in NetEdit3 (which doesn't show your H2-ECOM100), try Network --> Adapter, and pick your PC's NIC directly instead of the default. If that doesn't work...

...then one of the easiest ways to get it back is to use a utility in DS Launch to write a new IP address to it. It is called "IPConfig" and is located under the "Utilities" folder in DS Launch. Double-clicking on this will bring it up.

1. At the bottom, select your PC's NIC (this helps set the Subnet Mask)
2. Enter your H2-ECOM100's MAC address (printed on the label)
3. Enter the IP Address you want your H2-ECOM100 to have (make sure this new IP address is on your PC's same logical network)
4. Press the <Write> button. You should get, "Cool! Found device!"

Now use NetEdit3 again, to see if you can see the module. Most of the time you can. Then simply attempt the firmware update again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:19:39 AM by Greg »
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

sclrick

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
I found an answer.  I used an old XP notebook and NetEdit connected through IPX.  Updated the firmware and the module is working fine now.  Thanks for the reply's.