News:

  • September 29, 2026, 04:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brx continuos rebooting  (Read 53261 times)

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Brx continuos rebooting
« on: February 15, 2018, 06:49:43 AM »
I have a BRX that upon power-up with switch in term, it will continually reboot (the cyclic LED pattern, then stops for a second, then cyclic LED again, over and over).
I can flip the switch to stop, wait for the cyclic LED to stop, then flip to run and it's fine, or reset power and it will usually boot up into run okay. This problem is random upon power up. I had the same problem with a DM1E about a year ago, but I don't remember if it was a defective unit or what. I'm attaching the event log. Any ideas?

MikeS

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 270
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »
It could be either a hardware watchdog reset or a software watchdog reset. It will cycle like this 10 times then stay in STOP mode.

Is it doing this right out of the box? or were you able to connect to it then download a project to it?

Do you know how to do the reset to factory defaults using the DIP switches and mode switch? if not refer to Help topic DMD0266. Try that and see if it changes anything.
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
The 205 was due to a chip manufacturer making changes and breaking us. It was a power supply startup thing, and once it started it was fine.

We had this happen with one other BRX unit, and while trying to diagnose it, we ran it through the production test and it cured it. Have you tried clearing the memory? On the one hand I'd love to know what's causing trouble, but on the other, I'd like it to work right for you.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »
It could be either a hardware watchdog reset or a software watchdog reset. It will cycle like this 10 times then stay in STOP mode.
Actually it will cycle(I guess forever, see attachment at least 30 times before I stopped it on 2/13 and 20+ times today)

Is it doing this right out of the box? or were you able to connect to it then download a project to it?
I did download a project to it

Do you know how to do the reset to factory defaults using the DIP switches and mode switch? if not refer to Help topic DMD0266. Try that and see if it changes anything.
I'll give that a try

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
The 205 was due to a chip manufacturer making changes and breaking us. It was a power supply startup thing, and once it started it was fine.
Yes once it's in run mode no issues, it's only after a power has been cycled


We had this happen with one other BRX unit, and while trying to diagnose it, we ran it through the production test and it cured it. Have you tried clearing the memory? On the one hand I'd love to know what's causing trouble, but on the other, I'd like it to work right for you.

No I haven't tried clearing memory yet, will do

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
Any expansion modules?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
Any expansion modules?
Busy day haven't got chance to clear memory yet. Yes 1 analog in BX-08AD-2B, 1 16 pt Discrete In BX-16ND3, 1 relay out BR-16TR

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
Cleared PLC Memory (ALL). Might take a few days for the issue to show up OR not

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
You're not running any logic interrupts are you?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
You're not running any logic interrupts are you?
No Interrupts. It has done it again, after power cycle, when powering back up.
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:26:42 PM by davidbgtx »

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory

I'm not sure that will do anything more than the clear is doing.

Once it's in that state, does it continue to be after repeated power cycles?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory

I'm not sure that will do anything more than the clear is doing.

Once it's in that state, does it continue to be after repeated power cycles?
No, so far I can turn off power and it will come back correctly, or I can put switch to stop, wait for led's to stop the CYClic pattern and move switch to Run. It only does it when I cycle the power and then maybe 1 out of 5 times, very random.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »
What is the CPU part number?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 215
  • Host be the Most
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »
What is the CPU part number?
BX-DM1E-18ER

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Brx continuos rebooting
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Not sure we are gonna be able to dupe anything. Might be good to get the unit.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO