News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Offline CPU IP Address Configuration  (Read 2334 times)

Mike Nash

Offline CPU IP Address Configuration
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
I've probably asked before but I can't find anything.

I'm starting a new project, Ethernet BRX, and I would really, really like to be able to set the CPU IP address while offline. I don't find any way to have this documented with the project, other than in some description that I wouldn't find if I just needed the address (oh, say I was wanting to program an HMI and it needs the IP address.) Even a file from an online upload has no record of the CPU address.

Am I just missing it? If not, can we hope something is added at some point?

plcnut

• premiersi.com
Re: Offline CPU IP Address Configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
I don't remember what it is called, but there is an instruction that will set the ip address. Just put it in $FirstScan.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »
SETUPIP
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Now that you mention it, I have used that in the past. But it would still be very nice to be able to look at the program file and have a config item that you can look at and see it. Customer support type stuff especially.

Another current project has two Do-mores, 2 HMIs (all talking together) and multiple I/O drops and ModbusTCP devices. The only 2 items I can't go ahead and set the IP addresses are the Do-more CPUs.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »
The only other place we could put it is the system configuration, which would require editing it with DmD. We get far more requests to do setup from the program than from sysconfig. SETUPIP can reference image register, so it can be changed in memory and applied. That seems pretty flexible to me.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
Well, it is in System Configuration already, but it only shows 0.0.0.0 when offline. I'm more just looking for this to be self-documenting. Using SETUPIP is OK, (if I could remember that it the IP address can't be changed or viewed offline unless I have this instruction and then recall I can look there.)

The real issue is that I can see where it would be changed online, so I start looking for the offline value and find nothing. If it's mentioned in Help, I missed it.

My success rate with connecting to an ECOM or Do-more without already knowing its IP address is less than stellar. There seem to be too many ways it can just not work, what with Windows versions and NICs and IP conflicts, etc. Other non-HOST, non-AD products are just as problematic at times. Knowing the IP I need to connect to is always better.

And the problem with putting it in the project description is 1) knowing to look there, 2) knowing to change it there if the IP address has to change.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »
No, it is definitely not *in* the system configuration. We added access to it from the system configuration dialog because people instinctively wanted it there. It is stored completely outside the PLC, functionally speaking. It is stored in an area of memory that NetEdit accesses, because we wanted all Host Ethernet products to be configurable via NetEdit. It really isn't a PLC thing, and that is the challenge.