News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ctrio 2  (Read 4029 times)

Bill_1000

Ctrio 2
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
I have a system with 16 encoders; 8 ctrio 2 modules. Reading position. Do More 205 series.

I have had two incidents where the ctrio quit counting. No count in the CPU and no lights on the ctrio.

The first time I didn't write down the actual module placement but I unwired & wired back one of the encoder leads and the module started working.

The second time I tugged on the wires starting at the enclosure terminal and then the ctrio terminal. The ctrio started working again when I tugged the wires on the ctrio terminal. Probably moved the terminal to board contacts... I guess.

Any ideas ? Could it be the edge connector ? Bi-furcated contact type problem ?

thanks

Mike Nash

Re: Ctrio 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
We have had similar problems with the connectors on the 12-16 pt I/O modules when wired with #14 in retrofit situations. Not enough give in the wire and eventually it would cause the connector fingers to lose contact with the module. Had to go to zip link on these.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Big wire is a problem in lots of older plants where everything used to be relays not relay logic.  Couldn't get my last employer to stop using 600 volt MTW with thick insulation in PLC cabinets where no 480 vac was present.  Made it really tough to troubleshoot and frequently we had loose connections.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Nobody likes the terminals on the CTRIO/2. The desire to have unflaky big boy terminations is what drove us to 5mm Euro style everywhere possible on BRX.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Bill_1000

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
The wire is AWG 20, PVC insulation. The small soft stuff. There's not too many connections on there either; +24, 0v, IP1, IP2

Would the ZIP LINK be any better ? Most of the ZIP LINKS I've used are a lot more stiff than I like.....

bbass

Mike Nash

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »
I have not personally had any issues with smaller gauges such as your AWG 20.

I am not really a huge fan of the zip link system as I agree the cables are hard to deal with, the stick on labels are totally cheap and a pain (and blows away some of the speed suggested by AD), and eat up a lot of panel space to boot.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
Yep,
Big negative on zip link. Used AB version and that was worse. I lay out panels for the least possible amount of wire and if I EVER had the space that ziplinks use I'd be in heaven.