News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D0-05 Set a Password All By Itself  (Read 6073 times)

Mike Nash

D0-05 Set a Password All By Itself
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
I already know the only way to clear it is to send to ADC and they will default everything to factory. It's not worth the trouble since it was mfg in 2007 and was probably due to be replaced anyway, so we did.

The odd thing is, I programmed this unit way back when and was online with it less than a year ago. It was working just fine when the utility power blipped about 5 times and then it didn't. I never set a password, nor did the customer. The PLC would go to run mode, but didn't actually work (only Y0 is used - driven by the high speed counter.)

Without the self-set password, it's a brick. I had hoped DNLoader could shove an image in, but it also wants a password. I saw some references to comms causing a problem sometimes, but I don't think that was the issue. I should have tried Port 2 that had an Opti-mate working (maybe) but didn't want to waste more time.

Curiosity only (we didn't keep the bad PLC) what type of memory holds the password that it could be corrupted?

I had never really glommed on to what DSOFT was telling me with the error locking/unlocking PLC message (usually after power killed or cable unplugged before going offline.) I never password the PLCs.

In my Googling, I did find a FAQ about the MX-275 and MX-275e and something called DirectSOFT-MX. Looked cool.  ;D

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: D0-05 Set a Password All By Itself
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
I've seen this happen a couple of times to a DL05 and I believe once to a DL06. One of the times it happened to me right here in my office. Passwords are stored in a special area not normally accessible.

When DirectSOFT connects, it unlocks the PLC to talk to it. While it is unlocked it can be freely accessed for programming. When DirectSOFT disconnects, it attempts to lock the PLC back so that memory is not freely accessible.

MX-275, MX-275e and DirectSOFT-MX were just old internal development names here at Host Engineering, much of which ultimately turned into Do-more PLC and Do-more Designer software. Not sure where you'd've seen an "FAQ" about them.  ???
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
Yeah, I had this happen once on an 06.  Commissioning on it one day, come in the next and it's passworded.  D'oh!  Fortunately it was one of a set of machines (and the TB's are removable), so I had another 06 on hand I could swap in and ship the goofy one off to ADC for a reset.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

jgreenewv

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
MX-275, MX-275e and DirectSOFT-MX were just old internal development names here at Host Engineering, much of which ultimately turned into Do-more PLC and Do-more Designer software. Not sure where you'd've seen an "FAQ" about them.  ???

http://www.hosteng.com/faqfiles/mx.htm  ;D

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:25:18 PM »
Dude! That stuff is still up there? LOL... I'll be taking that down soon.  :o
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
I was enjoying seeing how truthful we ended up being...
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
I didn't really want you to find it because I figured you would take it down - and it's pretty cool.  8)