News:

  • September 29, 2026, 08:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One  (Read 22768 times)

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
I finally found this http://forum.hosteng.com/wndm/HTMLHelp1/Ladder_View/The_Ladder_Editor.htm which is not to say it is hidden, just that it took me awhile to find it.

But I am still looking for an actual list of DMD hot keys (hotkeys, shortcut keys, whatever.)

Also, something I have never found is an Edit the current highlighted instruction keyboard shortcut. I don't really want to double click with the mouse and I don't always want to simply type over the instruction. Typeover is OK for a single address contact but doesn't work too well for a comparison or math box. So please, if it is there, tell me how. If not, well i need it (to be happy!)(I have the same desire in DirectSoft.)

I am still struggling with unexpected behavior in MATH and SCALE boxes, etc. I have not yet hit on the correct keystrokes to reliably go from one field to the next without it complaining (<Enter> after destination in MATH), Element Browser trying to select the next field in SCALE with the mouse. So I am looking for tips here. I would be fine all keyboard based, but since I have to use the mouse to begin the edit I tend to try to use it to select the field and boom!, I have double clicked into the Element Browser.

While I am at it. How do I abort a rung edit without dropping out of edit mode? I have had that problem forever.

One more. After a <Ctrl><F>, what quick keyboard strokes will close the Find window? I have to close it with a mouse click now which is annoying. Every other program I use lets me <Esc> out of it and then use F3 or <Shift><Ctrl><F> but the focus is no longer on the Find window in DMD. Yes, it is more powerful, but I want to close it easily.

At some point I am going to feel really, really guilty about whining over free software...  :-\

This really is some seriously nice stuff though guys, thanks! Over the years I have done some crazy stuff trying to work with BCD or strings in the Koyo processors (long division for fractional inch entry and display e.g.), and even the floating point in the later ones is somewhat involved. My current project looks downright skimpy compared to the sheer number of instructions I would have needed in a D2-260. Which just keeping me wanting more, more, more!

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
Also, something I have never found is an Edit the current highlighted instruction keyboard shortcut. I don't really want to double click with the mouse and I don't always want to simply type over the instruction. Typeover is OK for a single address contact but doesn't work too well for a comparison or math box. So please, if it is there, tell me how. If not, well i need it (to be happy!)(I have the same desire in DirectSoft.)

I use the space bar.

I seem to recall that we were working on a list of hot keys recently. Need to check on that.

I am still struggling with unexpected behavior in MATH and SCALE boxes, etc. I have not yet hit on the correct keystrokes to reliably go from one field to the next without it complaining (<Enter> after destination in MATH), Element Browser trying to select the next field in SCALE with the mouse. So I am looking for tips here. I would be fine all keyboard based, but since I have to use the mouse to begin the edit I tend to try to use it to select the field and boom!, I have double clicked into the Element Browser.

Tab?

While I am at it. How do I abort a rung edit without dropping out of edit mode? I have had that problem forever.

Don't guess I'd aver thought about this, the only way that I know of is to leave edit mode. Ctrl^E is so natural to me after 22 years, I guess I don't realize I'm doing it.

One more. After a <Ctrl><F>, what quick keyboard strokes will close the Find window? I have to close it with a mouse click now which is annoying. Every other program I use lets me <Esc> out of it and then use F3 or <Shift><Ctrl><F> but the focus is no longer on the Find window in DMD. Yes, it is more powerful, but I want to close it easily.

Escape works for me.

At some point I am going to feel really, really guilty about whining over free software...  :-\

We want the feedback. Yes...even on free software. ;)
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
Also, something I have never found is an Edit the current highlighted instruction keyboard shortcut. I don't really want to double click with the mouse and I don't always want to simply type over the instruction. Typeover is OK for a single address contact but doesn't work too well for a comparison or math box. So please, if it is there, tell me how. If not, well i need it (to be happy!)(I have the same desire in DirectSoft.)

I use the space bar.

I seem to recall that we were working on a list of hot keys recently. Need to check on that.

I am still struggling with unexpected behavior in MATH and SCALE boxes, etc. I have not yet hit on the correct keystrokes to reliably go from one field to the next without it complaining (<Enter> after destination in MATH), Element Browser trying to select the next field in SCALE with the mouse. So I am looking for tips here. I would be fine all keyboard based, but since I have to use the mouse to begin the edit I tend to try to use it to select the field and boom!, I have double clicked into the Element Browser.

Tab?

While I am at it. How do I abort a rung edit without dropping out of edit mode? I have had that problem forever.

Don't guess I'd aver thought about this, the only way that I know of is to leave edit mode. Ctrl^E is so natural to me after 22 years, I guess I don't realize I'm doing it.

One more. After a <Ctrl><F>, what quick keyboard strokes will close the Find window? I have to close it with a mouse click now which is annoying. Every other program I use lets me <Esc> out of it and then use F3 or <Shift><Ctrl><F> but the focus is no longer on the Find window in DMD. Yes, it is more powerful, but I want to close it easily.

Escape works for me.

THANK YOU! The Spacebar works and I would never have thought of it.

<Tab> seems to work also, I just have gotten too used to <Enter> somewhere (Probably DS4&5 since only a single address or value is needed.)

<Esc> on Find doesn't close the window because the focus has already jumped to the ladder. It does drop me right of edit mode though.:( It works in DS5 but not DMD. Maybe I have a different option selected?

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
<Esc> on Find doesn't close the window because the focus has already jumped to the ladder. It does drop me right of edit mode though.:( It works in DS5 but not DMD. Maybe I have a different option selected?

I think Find might have been modal in DS, but is modeless in DmD. I guess we could look at making making it a toggle, although it might be a tad harder than you might think due to Ctrl^F being contextually specific...different views have different find utils. We'll look into it though.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
After thinking about it, toggling Ctrl^F maybe isn't the best idea. The way it is now, at any time from within a ladder view Ctrl^F gets me to the Find dialog, regardless of whether it is currently up or not. I personally prefer that behavior. And since that is true, closing it when you are in a ladder view (what you are wanting to do) is simply hitting Ctrl^F then ESC. Always works...regardless of the current state of the Find dialog.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:22 PM »
Ah well, I could but ask. I never for a moment think any of these requests are going to be easy. But if I don't ask...

<Ctrl><F>  <Esc> works. Now to see if I can remember that.

I have noticed it occasionally trips me up when doing a Find if my focus isn't where I thought it was.

I'll possibly have pleasant dreams about the <Spacebar> thing. I should have asked years ago on that!

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
I use very little mouse. The keys are there for almost everything you need in editing, although figuring out what they are might be challenge. ;D
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

plcnut

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 815
    • premiersi.com
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »
I use very little mouse. The keys are there for almost everything you need in editing, although figuring out what they are might be challenge. ;D

I'm the same way. I should not need a mouse when editing. Between CTRL, ALT, Tab, arrow keys, and SPACE, I can get about anywhere. I turn off all toolbars, and run only the Ladder view, Xref, and Project Browser.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
https://premiersi.com

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:55 PM »
Ctrl^W is one of my favorites when editing. You can create as many rungs as you like from within a single edited matrix, then when you hit F8, we re-delineate. I rarely ever use INSERT.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 11:18:23 PM »
I know Zombie thread, but it is a request on hot keys and Find. I looked in the hot key file and don't see a Find All hot key combo.

As you may know I have issues with my beloved old hardware and software and Cross Reference acts oddly, so I find myself using Find All quite a bit and liking it mostly just fine. But I am missing a hot key for Find All since that works in lieu of the Cross Reference, even better for some things. So if it's not too late this cycle to get a quick way to be on top of an object and do a ___...--- SHAZAM! Find All. I would sure enjoy it's use.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:40 AM »
So if it's not too late this cycle to get a quick way to be on top of an object and do a ___...--- SHAZAM! Find All. I would sure enjoy it's use.
It will probably take more time to update the Hot Key list in all the various places than to implement this idea.   ;D

bscott

  • Guest
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 10:44:19 AM »
I know Zombie thread, but it is a request on hot keys and Find. I looked in the hot key file and don't see a Find All hot key combo.


Ctrl+Shift+Y, Find All in Ladders will be in the next version.

Mike Nash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
SHAZAM!

Very nice to have indeed! Thanks guys.

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Do-more Hot Key Listing and Request for Another One
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »
SHAZAM!

Very nice to have indeed! Thanks guys.

You're welcome, Gomer  ;D