News:

  • October 04, 2026, 09:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRX Wireless remote IO suggestions  (Read 6767 times)

plcnut

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 815
    • premiersi.com
BRX Wireless remote IO suggestions
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
I have a project for a datalogger that I plan to use BRX hardware on.
The logger is for insurance reasons, and so I am trying to mount the Logging PLC remote (at the office), and just use a RIO base at the process end where damage would be likely were there to be a claim.

The logging will be really slow (requirements are only one line of 36 entries per 24 hours), but can I do this reliably using a wireless ethernet bridge? Running cable to this building is not an option for this customer, so wireless is my only option.

Any suggestions for transmitting RIO ~500 feet with line-of-site?

I've looked at Ubiquiti and Advantech p2p.

Please give me your thoughts.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
https://premiersi.com

Bolt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 598
Re: BRX Wireless remote IO suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
I use an Advantech WISE module in a mobile machine that connects via a Ubiquiti Outdoor wireless AP.  The range is really good, and the setup is really great at re-connecting after it goes out of range.  I think I have only ever had to powercycle the device once in over a year, and I'm not really sure what the issue was.  I bet if you put an AP in the remote building, you would have great luck with the setup.

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: BRX Wireless remote IO suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
I have a lot of systems running wireless ethernet, most outside between buildings or sites. We use Ubiquiti 802.11 radios. If there are more than one remote that needs to talk to the main PLC we set up an AP radio on the main PLC and stations for the remotes. If there is only one we set it up as a site to site with the mac addresses locked to each other. I have been using them for 14 years with some of them in MN, ND, SD, IA, IL and NE with hot summer temps (100+) and really cold winter temps(45 below). We have had very little problems. We have site to site radios talking 8 to 10 miles apart with good thru-put speed. We use the Nano stations M, Rocket M and NanoBridge the most.  The one thing you have to be aware of is the latency involved with using radios. 

JW