News:

  • September 29, 2026, 08:43:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OCR readers?  (Read 9443 times)

Garyhlucas

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 421
OCR readers?
« on: November 30, 2023, 11:03:37 AM »
The customer wants to read serial numbers on the parts and they are being processed in batches of about 4 pieces on each of 18 machines.  I'm thinking handheld OCR scanner with Bluetooth so one scanner can be used across multiple machines.  Maybe put up a QR code on the HMI of each machine.  You get the machine number using the scanner then the serial numbers off the parts?  So the data goes straight to a PC and none of the 18 PLCs actually need to transmit data?

Suggestions for scanners?

jwbaker3

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: OCR readers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »
I have a customer that reads the QR code for the parts that are in process we pull out the information we need for the robots, message it to them and message the ASCII file to the last PLC in on the line there we display a QR code on the Cmore that they can scan into the computer. We also send the information directly to the inventory system thru FTP. We use Keyence SX1000 scanners, I open the TCP port on the scanner and stream in the ASCII to a long string (SL100). The SX1000's have been very good units. The first line we put them on was started in 2019 and have not had a failure. I have also used the serial hand held scanners from AD they work fine but we wanted to use ethernet not serial.

JW
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:38:23 AM by jwbaker3 »

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: OCR readers?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
I'm not crazy about the idea the guy can forget to scan what machine he's at.  Scanners are pretty cheap, maybe a scanner per machine?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Garyhlucas

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 421
Re: OCR readers?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 02:31:31 PM »
JW,
Thanks for that information.
I don't think we'd have a problem with operator not getting the QR code.  I probably can think of a way to force them to scan it.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: OCR readers?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 04:49:07 PM »
Yeah, no doubt, like making the machine ID scan only persist for a minute or something, and not accept a part scan without it.   Wish you well with it.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.