I have always done standalone machines, never networked or sending data. We use C-Mores and log data to USB stick, and I understand that the new CM5 displays we are using may have more capabilities in this area. I am not at all an IT guy however we have just hired a young computer engineer who came to us because he wanted to get into automation.
The task at hand is to collect data from 18 identical machines each with a BRX PLC, and a C-more. The product being handled has an alpha-numeric serial number etched on it. The customer wants to collet those serial numbers, initially by keyboard entries, and then possibly with an OCR reader. They also will need manual data entry for things like a caliper measurement, which in the future might be a connected caliper. All 18 machines will have an Ethernet switch, or maybe an Ethernet POM.
What direction should we be taking to do this? I see MQTT mentioned all the time but don't know anything about it. I don't currently know what the customer would like to do with this data when it is received, SQL database, Excel file?