News:

  • September 29, 2026, 07:19:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet  (Read 34670 times)

Evilbeard

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 160
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 03:29:43 PM »
With your "PC"'s IP Address of 10.50.176.xxx and a subnet mask of 255.255.224.0 (0xFF 0xFF 0xC0 0x00) means that for something to be on the same subnet as your "PC", the first 18 bits of the IP Address must match it, or
10.50.128.xxx thru 10.50.191.xxx
Sometimes, the subnet is specified as follows:
10.50.128.0/18 instead of
10.50.128.0 with subnet mask of 255.255.224.0

Hence, 10.10.114.57(58) will not be on the same subnet as your PC.

and just for the record, the software requires me to be on the same subnet to connect, right? The IT Network guy I'm talking to now believes I need to have a PHYSICAL connection to the machine. I don't believe that is the case, I just wanted proof.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:59:56 PM by Evilbeard »

franji1

  • Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3847
    • Host Engineering
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »
and just for the record, the software requires me to be on the same subnet to connect, right?

No, it does not.  But the sub-network addressing must be valid/known.  You can have a PLC on The Internet and the software can connect.  The software uses basic IP Addressing, but the addressing must be known.

If something is not on the PC's subnet, it goes up 1 level to try to resolve the address (e.g. the VPN may be able to route it properly).  But you have to configure the VPN to handle multiple/tiered subnets.  It keeps going up until it can resolve it.  The point being, somebody has to resolve the address.  If the IP Address is not on any subnet, it goes to the gateway of the PC (not the PLC) to resolve the address.

Controls Guy

  • Internal Dev
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 3626
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
and just for the record, the software requires me to be on the same subnet to connect, right? The IT Network guy I'm talking to now believes I need to have a PHYSICAL connection to the machine. I don't believe that is the case, I just wanted proof.

No, but if you want to talk to something outside your subnet, you need both ends to know the IP of their gateway for external addresses.  Then the gateways may be able to talk to each other directly, or then they'll have their own gateways to be able to try to resolve a path to the other device.  Ask your IT what the gateway addresses are for the subnets containing your PLC and your PC.  You may also need to make a route table entry in your PC.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Evilbeard

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 160
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
and just for the record, the software requires me to be on the same subnet to connect, right?

No, it does not.  But the sub-network addressing must be valid/known.  You can have a PLC on The Internet and the software can connect.  The software uses basic IP Addressing, but the addressing must be known.

If something is not on the PC's subnet, it goes up 1 level to try to resolve the address (e.g. the VPN may be able to route it properly).  But you have to configure the VPN to handle multiple/tiered subnets.  It keeps going up until it can resolve it.  The point being, somebody has to resolve the address.  If the IP Address is not on any subnet, it goes to the gateway of the PC (not the PLC) to resolve the address.

I was on the VPN, I can connect to and modify the C-More HMI. I can't connect to the Do-More.

Do-More PLC
10.10.114.57
255.255.254.0
10.10.114.1

C-More HMI
10.10.114.59
255.255.254.0
10.10.114.1

My Laptop on VPN
10.50.176.164
255.255.224.0

So Laptop will route packets on the network to and from the HMI, but not to the PLC?  I had the IT Guy flip my port over to the machine network (where I'm in the Phantom Zone), and I can connect to the PLC with a static IP of 10.10.114.100 using DMD. We just can't figure out why DMD and the VPN won't connect to the PLC, while I can connect with C-More and the HMI.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
Be sure that the comm link uses the IP address as the link address. Name and node number require broadcasts to resolve the address
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Evilbeard

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 160
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 05:34:23 PM »
Be sure that the comm link uses the IP address as the link address. Name and node number require broadcasts to resolve the address

EDIT: after trying time and time again to get them to show up in netedit both scanning and manually, it finally popped up. I had just restarted my pc. I don't know what has changed. It finally let me manually build the link and connect.

I think BobO said curse words and it worked.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:39:46 PM by Evilbeard »

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 05:39:27 PM »
Be sure that the comm link uses the IP address as the link address. Name and node number require broadcasts to resolve the address

I can't even see them via netedit. Would that be caused by the same issue?

NetEdit uses broadcasts to locate devices. If the VPN doesn't pass broadcast traffic, then yes. You can connect to a single device with NetEdit by providing the IP address.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Evilbeard

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 160
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
Be sure that the comm link uses the IP address as the link address. Name and node number require broadcasts to resolve the address

I can't even see them via netedit. Would that be caused by the same issue?

NetEdit uses broadcasts to locate devices. If the VPN doesn't pass broadcast traffic, then yes. You can connect to a single device with NetEdit by providing the IP address.

I had to edit my post. I know I'm not the brightest bulb, but I'm still burning. Sorry for the non-issue.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Connecting to the PLC via Ethernet
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
I had to edit my post. I know I'm not the brightest bulb, but I'm still burning. Sorry for the non-issue.

Stuff happens. Glad it's working.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO