News:

  • October 10, 2026, 07:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DHCP support for @IntEthernet  (Read 15752 times)

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
Is there any possibility that the inboard Ethernet port might support DHCP at some point? I'd missed this vital piece of information and although I know I can work around it using a POM I could really use DHCP support on the built-in NIC.

Andrew,

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
Is there any possibility that the inboard Ethernet port might support DHCP at some point? I'd missed this vital piece of information and although I know I can work around it using a POM I could really use DHCP support on the built-in NIC.

Andrew,

DHCP is not well suited to a control platform; having addresses change at will is a potentially a very bad thing. It makes sense for your app, since the PLC is controlling the flow of information, but for most users it does not. The problem is that it encourages people to do things that aren't going to work well for them (or worse), and causes more trouble than benefit. I guess we could look at adding it, but we have a lot on our plate right now and I'n not entirely sure how we can do it without causing more harm than good.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »
Perhaps you should add an "idiot Mode" flag that enables stuff like this ;-)

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
Perhaps you should add an "idiot Mode" flag that enables stuff like this ;-)

Idiots do factor into the discussion, but pretty sure you aren't one. ;D

Of late, a major consideration for what we do or don't is trying to guess the impact to ADC's market at large. Our experience is that when you build a product capable enough to satisfy the experts, you've built one so complex that only experts will use it. Unfortunately there is a whole lot more not experts than experts.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
Absolutely. I've seen devices (not PLCs) that have an 'advanced' mode that removes certain restrictions for features that would otherwise cause problems. Perhaps something to think about for the future. I do agree though that the KISS model is advantageous most of the time.

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
I've been noodling on this and I'd really like to be able to convince you to add DHCP support for @IntEthernet. Here's my pitch - perhaps you could add a DEVWRITE option for it. That way it's not in the regular config, but for tech-heads who are willing to live with the consequences there's an option available.

Or I could buy you beer ;-)  ;D ;D ;D

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
I've been noodling on this and I'd really like to be able to convince you to add DHCP support for @IntEthernet. Here's my pitch - perhaps you could add a DEVWRITE option for it. That way it's not in the regular config, but for tech-heads who are willing to live with the consequences there's an option available.

Or I could buy you beer ;-)  ;D ;D ;D

I'm thinking about it. I wasn't in support, but considering it from the perspective of an IIoT edge node that just needs the Ethernet port to hit an MQTT server in the cloud, I see the advantage. We are also kicking around Sparkplug B, and for a monitoring node in a SCADA system I can see a similar advantage.

Still debating the implementation. As easy answer would be an instruction that would put the internal port under DHCP control. Dropping the enable would free the lease and return to the flash config. That has the advantage of requiring either a fixed IP or another port for programming, and allowing the use of DHCP for the cases it actually makes sense for. I think that resolves much of the support headache.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
I could certainly get behind that implementation Bob. Thanks for looking at it again.

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »
I've been noodling on this and I'd really like to be able to convince you to add DHCP support for @IntEthernet. Here's my pitch - perhaps you could add a DEVWRITE option for it. That way it's not in the regular config, but for tech-heads who are willing to live with the consequences there's an option available.

Or I could buy you beer ;-)  ;D ;D ;D

I'm thinking about it. I wasn't in support, but considering it from the perspective of an IIoT edge node that just needs the Ethernet port to hit an MQTT server in the cloud, I see the advantage. We are also kicking around Sparkplug B, and for a monitoring node in a SCADA system I can see a similar advantage.

Still debating the implementation. As easy answer would be an instruction that would put the internal port under DHCP control. Dropping the enable would free the lease and return to the flash config. That has the advantage of requiring either a fixed IP or another port for programming, and allowing the use of DHCP for the cases it actually makes sense for. I think that resolves much of the support headache.

Hi Bob. Did this functionality ever get implemented? My IoT project is still on hold until DHCP on the on-board Ethernet port is in place.

Thanks, Andrew.

BobO

  • Host Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6176
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:20 PM »
Hi Bob. Did this functionality ever get implemented? My IoT project is still on hold until DHCP on the on-board Ethernet port is in place.

Thanks, Andrew.

It has not, but we'd still like to. We are working on a client-centric Ethernet POM, and I'd definitely like it to be DHCP capable.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Andrew S

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 144
Re: DHCP support for @IntEthernet
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »
Thanks Bob. I'd love for @IntEthernet to be DHCP-capable as opposed to (or in addition to) the POM though, if at all possible.

I'll check back at a later date. My project is still 'alive' but it obviously won't be for ever, so fingers crossed it's not too long until there's a solution.

Hope you're keeping well in these strange times!
Andrew.