Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 06:49:43 AM

Title: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 06:49:43 AM
I have a BRX that upon power-up with switch in term, it will continually reboot (the cyclic LED pattern, then stops for a second, then cyclic LED again, over and over).
I can flip the switch to stop, wait for the cyclic LED to stop, then flip to run and it's fine, or reset power and it will usually boot up into run okay. This problem is random upon power up. I had the same problem with a DM1E about a year ago, but I don't remember if it was a defective unit or what. I'm attaching the event log. Any ideas?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: MikeS on February 15, 2018, 08:39:01 AM
It could be either a hardware watchdog reset or a software watchdog reset. It will cycle like this 10 times then stay in STOP mode.

Is it doing this right out of the box? or were you able to connect to it then download a project to it?

Do you know how to do the reset to factory defaults using the DIP switches and mode switch? if not refer to Help topic DMD0266. Try that and see if it changes anything.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 15, 2018, 08:44:20 AM
The 205 was due to a chip manufacturer making changes and breaking us. It was a power supply startup thing, and once it started it was fine.

We had this happen with one other BRX unit, and while trying to diagnose it, we ran it through the production test and it cured it. Have you tried clearing the memory? On the one hand I'd love to know what's causing trouble, but on the other, I'd like it to work right for you.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 08:46:26 AM
It could be either a hardware watchdog reset or a software watchdog reset. It will cycle like this 10 times then stay in STOP mode.
Actually it will cycle(I guess forever, see attachment at least 30 times before I stopped it on 2/13 and 20+ times today)

Is it doing this right out of the box? or were you able to connect to it then download a project to it?
I did download a project to it

Do you know how to do the reset to factory defaults using the DIP switches and mode switch? if not refer to Help topic DMD0266. Try that and see if it changes anything.
I'll give that a try
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 08:48:40 AM
The 205 was due to a chip manufacturer making changes and breaking us. It was a power supply startup thing, and once it started it was fine.
Yes once it's in run mode no issues, it's only after a power has been cycled


We had this happen with one other BRX unit, and while trying to diagnose it, we ran it through the production test and it cured it. Have you tried clearing the memory? On the one hand I'd love to know what's causing trouble, but on the other, I'd like it to work right for you.

No I haven't tried clearing memory yet, will do
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 15, 2018, 08:54:25 AM
Any expansion modules?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 11:52:03 AM
Any expansion modules?
Busy day haven't got chance to clear memory yet. Yes 1 analog in BX-08AD-2B, 1 16 pt Discrete In BX-16ND3, 1 relay out BR-16TR
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 02:44:37 PM
Cleared PLC Memory (ALL). Might take a few days for the issue to show up OR not
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 15, 2018, 02:47:56 PM
You're not running any logic interrupts are you?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 04:20:42 PM
You're not running any logic interrupts are you?
No Interrupts. It has done it again, after power cycle, when powering back up.
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 15, 2018, 04:28:49 PM
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory

I'm not sure that will do anything more than the clear is doing.

Once it's in that state, does it continue to be after repeated power cycles?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 04:34:11 PM
Should I try MikeS suggestion or is it different from Clear Memory

I'm not sure that will do anything more than the clear is doing.

Once it's in that state, does it continue to be after repeated power cycles?
No, so far I can turn off power and it will come back correctly, or I can put switch to stop, wait for led's to stop the CYClic pattern and move switch to Run. It only does it when I cycle the power and then maybe 1 out of 5 times, very random.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 15, 2018, 04:48:05 PM
What is the CPU part number?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 15, 2018, 06:28:20 PM
What is the CPU part number?
BX-DM1E-18ER
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 16, 2018, 10:59:21 AM
Not sure we are gonna be able to dupe anything. Might be good to get the unit.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 16, 2018, 11:17:01 AM
Not sure we are gonna be able to dupe anything. Might be good to get the unit.
I haven't put the Machine into production yet, kinda under the gun to finish the project.
So if you are proposing a swap, I don't have a spare available, can you ship one to me first?

It seems odd that I had this issue with a DM1E, is there a common denominator? However I have 7 or 8 DM1E,s and 1 other BRX with no issues yet.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: ADC Product Engineer on February 16, 2018, 11:22:18 AM
You can go through returns at ADC.  Be sure to put "Attn: BRX Product Engineer, please deliver ASAP" on the label and I will get it to HOST as soon as I receive it.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 16, 2018, 11:32:26 AM
You can go through returns at ADC.  Be sure to put "Attn: BRX Product Engineer, please deliver ASAP" on the label and I will get it to HOST as soon as I receive it.
OK, I'm at home now, will contact ADC Monday morning 1st thing.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 16, 2018, 12:01:41 PM
It seems odd that I had this issue with a DM1E, is there a common denominator? However I have 7 or 8 DM1E,s and 1 other BRX with no issues yet.

The issue with the H2s was due to a manufacturing change by a chip supplier that resulted in behavioral changes with the part. I think we use the same part on BRX, so I guess it is theoretically possible, but the failure was very specific to the way we stage power supply startup in 205, and we have not seen the same issue in either Terminator or BRX.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: ATU on February 17, 2018, 10:21:22 AM
Do you have any Ethernet Devices connected?  HMI?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 17, 2018, 11:03:25 AM
yes, through a Stride unmanaged switch, to 2 GS4 Durapulse drives and 1 CMore HMI, and eventually to a WINPLC (which it will communicate with). All comms are working once it boots up correctly.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: ATU on February 17, 2018, 11:49:58 AM
I had a problem where I believe my device was not sending string lengths correctly causing a watchdog timeout in the BRX. Could the devices be trying to communicate before the BRX is ready?  Have you tried powering it up with devices disconnected?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 17, 2018, 12:00:50 PM
No, but I will try try powering up with devices disconnected and see what happens. What did you do to resolve your issue?
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 17, 2018, 12:09:16 PM
No, but I will try try powering up with devices disconnected and see what happens. What did you do to resolve your issue?

His HMI was busted.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 17, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
No, but I will try try powering up with devices disconnected and see what happens. What did you do to resolve your issue?

His HMI was busted.

I'll stick with the plan of call ADC for replacement and them forwarding the unit to HOST
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 17, 2018, 12:45:04 PM
I'll stick with the plan of call ADC for replacement and them forwarding the unit to HOST

BRX has been pretty good for a new product, but every new product will have some issues. Host's policy is to aggressively pursue issues with new(er) products and to quickly make changes to the design or manufacturing process. We take it seriously.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 17, 2018, 01:53:02 PM
I'll stick with the plan of call ADC for replacement and them forwarding the unit to HOST

BRX has been pretty good for a new product, but every new product will have some issues. Host's policy is to aggressively pursue issues with new(er) products and to quickly make changes to the design or manufacturing process. We take it seriously.

And that's one of the reasons I stick with your products. Good Job
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 22, 2018, 05:41:39 AM
Got replacement unit, am sending mine to ADC to be forwarded to HOST
my serial no. 00.E0.62.30.09.85, I am curious as to what you find.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 22, 2018, 12:23:31 PM
New unit doing the same thing. Please HELP
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 22, 2018, 12:27:48 PM
New unit doing the same thing. Please HELP

Best if we do this by phone. Contact support@hosteng.com with your contact info and I get someone to contact you ASAP.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 22, 2018, 12:32:59 PM
New unit doing the same thing. Please HELP

Best if we do this by phone. Contact support@hosteng.com with your contact info and I get someone to contact you ASAP.

contact info sent, best to use cell
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: pbw on February 21, 2019, 03:53:56 PM
Interesting read.
I'm curious what this issue was.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 21, 2019, 04:32:13 PM
Interesting read.
I'm curious what this issue was.

I remember having the issue, but I don't remember what the actual problem/resolution was.
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: davidbgtx on February 25, 2019, 11:13:15 AM
Wasn't really resolved, as best I remember the last thing they had me try was a swap on the analog input module (some revision change). I finally just gave up as the problem is so random and I only use this unit once every month or so. It only happens on boot up and I just flip switch to program and back to Run and all is well until next power up that it occurs (once again random).
Title: Re: Brx continuos rebooting
Post by: BobO on February 25, 2019, 11:17:00 AM
Wasn't really resolved, as best I remember the last thing they had me try was a swap on the analog input module (some revision change). I finally just gave up as the problem is so random and I only use this unit once every month or so. It only happens on boot up and I just flip switch to program and back to Run and all is well until next power up that it occurs (once again random).

Not a fan of that answer. Would really like to get that fixed for you...but I completely understand that work gets in the way of ideal outcomes.