News:

• May 17, 2024, 08:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352595 times)

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »
Terminator DeviceNet? Well...we didn't build that one, which is at the center of the issue. Koyo built the T1K-DEVNET, and for reasons I am not fully aware of, was not able to support the T1H-CTRIO. It may have been related to the size of the memory map...the CTRIO's is quite large...but perhaps another Hostie would jump in and confirm that.

As for the 'controller' I was referring to...no, not DeviceNet...sorry. By 'controller' I meant PLC.

On that subject...how many folks would like to see the new PLC I was referring to available on Terminator? I'm thinking that request is in this thread somewhere, a page or two back, but by a show of hands, how many of you like that idea?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

JohnB

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
Thanks. I did not know if the T1H-CTRIO DeviceNet issue was on a "to do list", and if it was a firmware issue in the CTRIO card or not. I didn't know the problem was on the T1K-DEVNET end.

DueyDumore

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
I would like to see the rung comments stay with the rung where it's originally placed at. Our rung comments can get pretty messed up at times.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
I would like to see the rung comments stay with the rung where it's originally placed at. Our rung comments can get pretty messed up at times.
That, my good man, is a bug  :-[.  Believe it or not, it SHOULD stay with the rung :-[2.  We've been chasing after these since Rel 1.

Make sure you have the latest and greatest maintenance release (available for free from our website), along with possibly re-creating your project by completely exporting the program (using the File->Export->Program... with comments and element documentation), and creating a NEW project from those text exports (using the File->Import->Program... dialog), then you will have a "pristine" database for ladder comments and element documentation.

We've seen a great reduction of corrupted databases since we started shipping Rel 5.  That doesn't mean corrupted databases have gone away (i.e. projects created before Rel 5), but we're hoping that if projects created NEW with Rel 5, then THOSE are stable (we think ???)

b_carlton

• Internal Dev
    • thePLCguy
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »
On that subject...how many folks would like to see the new PLC I was referring to available on Terminator? I'm thinking that request is in this thread somewhere, a page or two back, but by a show of hands, how many of you like that idea?

I think that would be great. I presume the CPU would be the same size as the communication modules. There is more physical room for things like other communication ports - Ethernet? How about a flash card for project transfer? What family number would that CPU/IO combination be "205-T"?
An output is a PLC's way of getting its inputs to change.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
The CPU would be exactly like the comm modules...same plastic. And yeah, lots of ports.

Flash card is definitely something we'd like to look into. Perhaps not in the first version, but later, as either an upgraded CPU and/or a module.

Shorthand CPU nomeclature would likely be Txx, where xx == CPU type. Like existing 2xx for 250, 260, etc. Part number would probably be T1H-xx, or some such thing.

This has been an obvious one to us for years...nice I/O line like Terminator...could be nicer still with a CPU option. Just wondering if I am the only one riding that train, or if it has occurred to users as well. If enough folks like the idea, I'm pretty sure it can become a reality without much effort. We are already doing everything in the T1H-EBCxxx that would be unique to a Terminator CPU.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
I asked the question about a CPU for the terminator I/O months ago, glad to see others are saying the same thing. How soon?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
Yeah, I thought I remembered a request or two for this some time back. We originally pitched the idea to the Terminator product manager several years ago, and got a pretty lukewarm response. Ok, lukewarm is being nice...it was far less than that...so we didn't push it further. I don't feel that it would be a huge volume, but I do feel that there would be enough interest to justify the product. Hoping more folks will respond with confirmation of that belief.

Schedule? Well...I'll say the same thing in regard to a Txx CPU that I said when I first pulled back the cover on Host building a CPU for anything: There is still too much road ahead to make definative statements regarding availability.

I will say this much though, we have functional hardware in house (although for 205, not Terminator), it is very fast, very cool, and does some pretty interesting stuff particularly in regards to data types and instruction simplification. That said, there is still a ton of stuff to do to get this into product form. Once there, there is the rollout process at ADC that can take months too.

And again I'll say what I said before to anyone reading this, pleeeeeease don't go asking at ADC. Since we're building it, they don't have answers, and even if they did, their policy precludes them from making announcements prior to availability.

In truth I would also prefer not to say anything. But, this forum is a valuable source of input for us. Many of the comments have already been integrated into our prototypes, and in some cases significantly altered the design. Given that we at Host do not directly interface with users, except in this forum environment, I have chosen to take a bit of a risk and give you all a glimpse of what is coming.

A very vague answer? Sometime next year. Maybe sooner. Or later. ;D

Hmmm...I just had an idea. In time we will be conducting a beta program and encouraging involvement of a select few very experienced end users....however...I wonder if there would be interest in a members only private forum where we could talk more openly about specific implementation details now. If there were enough folks interested, it might be worth setting that up. At first blush, I think it would be limited to folks that are actively using our products (should be most folks on this forum) who are willing to sign an NDA with Host.

If that sounds remotely interesting, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:48:21 PM by BobO »

ATU

• Internal Dev
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
In regards to the new CPU, is there a possibility to have run time edits without pausing the CPU? Similar to the way AB & Omron do it. The updates are downloaded and then executed during one scan.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
We have the bump down to 1 scan + ~1ms in our prototypes. Is that good enough?

ATU

• Internal Dev
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 07:16:44 AM »
Oh, so its already included. You guys are on ball. That sounds good, but what are the restrictions?  How many rungs or size of the program segment can be changed at one time?

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2008, 10:17:13 AM »
It's not a question of size.  We basically store 2 different programs, the one you are currently running, and the one being downloaded.  You (technically) could do a runtime edit across a 1200baud modem with a 64K program, and it would still "bump" as BobO stated - 1 scan plus about 1ms.  The DOWNLOAD/time on the wire may be VERY LONG, but your process would continue to run the old program while the download is occuring.

However, with USB, Ethernet, and even fast Serial, it's not long :D

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
Glad to hear you're going to one-scan online updates.

Other requests:

Master modules (scanners) for popular industrial networks.  Slave adapters (Profibus, DeviceNet, etc.) are well represented but the lack of masters is a real barrier to using DL Plc's in projects that mandate the use of devices that don't come in any Koyo networks, or for retrofits where one could just chop off the PLC and install a new one reusing all the old I/O racks.  The top of the line processors are plenty powerful enough to do large projects if we could only talk to the I/O.

Better data views and manual manipulation of data files!  In a SLC, I can see a couple hundred data values on the screen simultaneously, and write to them simply by clicking on the value, typing in the new value, and hitting Enter.  In contrast, in a DL, I have to manually generate a Data View.  This has it's merits as well, but with RSLogix, I have the choice of doing it either way (tabular view vs. custom view made from specified registers).  Personally, I find I use the tabular view 99% of the time.  Forcing is also a pain in the butt in the DL's.

Paramaterizable subroutine calls, and multiple return values.

I also don't like the modal Data and Cross Reference Views, etc.  I would like to have the option like with any MDI program of splitting them or having them all maximized and Ctrl-Tab'ing between them.  Someone told me that the way it's done now is the standard Windows way of doing it.  I don't care, it doesn't work as well.  At least give us the option and then the people who like it this way can still have it.  Both of them.

Another nice feature is the ability to drag and drop addresses from one token on screen to another.   I find in Logix, the fastest way for me to enter ladder is to hit enter with the cursor on the rung, thus opening a mnemonic window overlaying the ladder window, type in the structure of the rung sans addresses, then drag any applicable addresses that are available from other rungs visible on screen, then fill out any remaining ones manually.  To be fair, your graphical ladder entry (Ctrl-arrow, Ctrl-Shift-arrow, assumed contact, assumed "C", "/" to change NO <-> NC, etc.) is MUCH better than RS's, so the fact that they have these other options is partly making up for what you have that they lack.  Even so, I'm greedy and hope to get the best of BOTH systems!

Also, the hideous button icons.  It's not like you haven't had time to do nice ones; the Directsoft 4 ones were much more pleasant.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

ATU

• Internal Dev
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
64k of program space?  I hope that this was only an example and that you are planning to have much more than that in program space. 

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2008, 12:57:50 AM »
We haven't finalized that yet, but at 64k we'd be 4x the size of the DL260. Given that enhancements to the instruction set will significantly enhance program efficiency, I think you'll be hard pressed to fill it.

How much were you wanting and why?