News:

• May 19, 2024, 02:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352764 times)

odwyerpw

• Sonora Technical LLC
Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2010, 02:08:21 AM »
Bob, I've enjoyed this discussion very much.  Lots of good suggestions from folks.

I like the DL205 series, and it's nice to read of a new processor upgrade for it.  Ethernet on board the cpu module would be good, as it would reduce the price.

I'd like to see more I/O module meta data....but let me organize my thoughts before I make any specific suggestions.

odwyerpw

• Sonora Technical LLC
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Any updates on the DL270 CPU?

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »
Nearing beta now. Looking awesome. Fast. Seriously cool new features. The new DirectSoft that programs it is a big jump over 5.0. You will like it very much...I promise it will be worth the wait. I'd post a screen shot or two, but ADC would have my head. ;)

Current target is late Q1/11.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

henke

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

First off, let me say that this is just an excellent programming package. Overall, very feature-rich. So by bumping this thread again I'm just hoping a few other feature enhancements may be included with Ver 5.4, (6.0?)!

I realize that it's trivial to ask and difficult to include, but you folks at Host have been amazing in the past.

This may be too late but since a release may be impending I'm looking forward to the possiblity of:

• Search "previous" as well as "next" in the ladder.
  • In Doc editor, "shortcut" buttons to jump to various blocks in memory.
  • Option to display a Data column in the Doc editor. Not necessarily editable but an option to display data maybe in a color to differentiate it as not being editable in that view?
  • Data view to display "Nickname" in a separate column from "element" (to save vertical space).

Hopefully these requests can make it in time to include in the next version – unless they're already in there...

and over in the A-D forum we find:

marksji 

Quote:
        Originally posted by chris.zeman:
        I have a suggestion for the documentation editor in DirectSoft. There are many V-Memory locations reserved for use by the PLC, such as the clock/calender,
        but they're not labeled as such in the documentation editor. It might be helpful if all reserved memory locations were already labeled.

Chris 

I'll second that!

I'll third that!

Where's my kitty?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

We're very hard at work in the final stages of our new controller project...MX. As such, almost everything we do in DirectSoft is currently focused on finalizing MX controller features. In some ways, new MX features will be answering your requests...although perhaps not in the way you've asked, because it is a significantly changed world from DirectLogic. Some of what you've asked for was already planned for a future release of MX. We're hoping to do a public preview here in the not too distant future, and would love everyone whose interested to download it, play with it, and tell us about it. We don't have a firm date, but it's looking like April right now. Stay tuned, you're gonna love it!!

For the Data View space thing, you might consider what we jokingly call 'Bob mode' here at Host (I'm the only one that uses it). Turn off your element display, and just leave your nicknames turned on. If there is not a nickname, we display the element. If you have a nickname, the element isn't quite so useful anyway (do I really care that is it C476?). We are planning a complete rewrite of Data View in a future MX release. Not sure yet whether it will be the 1.5 release or the 2.0, but it will be far more flexible than what is there now.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

rswolff

« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
how about some h/w that actually is functional? I have 10 H0-Ecom-100's. Periodically they'll stop communicating to the D0-06 processors. They can still be pinged so its not network. Only way to restore communications is to cycle power.

I'll never use another Ecom for anything. I'm almost to the point of needing to rip out this crap and install something that works!!!!! So why don't you simply put a disclaimer in each box stating h/w and s/w is crap, will lockup randomly and can't be reset. At least then I could have returned this and saved myself a bunch of trouble. ???

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
how about some h/w that actually is functional? I have 10 H0-Ecom-100's. Periodically they'll stop communicating to the D0-06 processors. They can still be pinged so its not network. Only way to restore communications is to cycle power.

I'll never use another Ecom for anything. I'm almost to the point of needing to rip out this crap and install something that works!!!!! So why don't you simply put a disclaimer in each box stating h/w and s/w is crap, will lockup randomly and can't be reset. At least then I could have returned this <deleted> and saved myself a bunch of trouble. ???

So I guess that begs the question, did you come here for help, or did you come here to vent?

We have 10s of thousands of ECOMs and ECOM100s in the field. Judging by the amount of negative feedback I have gotten over the last 10 or 12 years...which I could count on one hand...they work very well for dang near everyone out there. Do we occasionally have bugs? Sure, and we fix them every time. Since the ECOM is still answering pings, it isn't locked up. It may be that the DL06 simply isn't talking to us any more; ECOMs are dependent on the PLC itself to process the request. On occasion, changes get made to the DL06 that cause option modules trouble. We've worked through every one to date, and we will work through this one if you will let us help.

It you are wanting help, I will have a technician contact you ASAP. If you want your money back, we are happy to refund it.

harncw

« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
I admit I didn't read the entire thread, and that my experience with Host has only been on the ECOM100, but it has been a good experience.

My new features are security related, it feels as though a lot of these protocols in use by the industry are wide open:
IP or possibly MAC Address Filter for the ECOM100
Option to turn ModBusTCP listening off

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
I believe we got the OP taken care of, although I don't think we've heard back. Most have great success with our products.

We can look at security improvements for ECOM100.

I am very sure that you will like the upcoming MX-275E PLC that Host is developing. We put specific effort into improving security: 1) Our native protocol is session-based with configurable permissions by user, 2) Unsecured protocols like Modbus/TCP and KSequence can only access segregated memory, and 3) the Modbus/TCP server can be disabled.

harncw

« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
Thanks for taking it into consideration!

See... I'm building a  "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator"   ;D
And I don't want my centrifuges to get off kilter.

Have a great day!

BTW: what is this "upcoming MX-275E PLC"? I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
BTW: what is this "upcoming MX-275E PLC"? I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

Host has spent the last five years...give or take a bit...devloping a new control engine and programming package...MX and DirectSOFT/MX. It will be deployed first on new CPUs for 205...the MX-275 and MX-275E. We are just going to beta now with a planned fall release.

Because it is not officially announced, ADC will deny everything and probably wouldn't be thrilled at this posting. ;) So don't ask them.

Among a zllion other improvements, DirectSOFT/MX includes a full featured PC based MX simulator. We are hoping to do a 'Technology Preview' release on the Host forum some time in the next couple of weeks, which will allow you evaluate MX and DirectSOFT/MX by programming the simulator.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
When time allows  :D

...are you back up in your chair yet?  To make it a full simulator, you'd probably have to upgrade it to work with configurable (a full rack of...) and remote I/O so you can actually simulate programs you write for actual projects.  Eventually, I guess you'd have to do all the specialty modules as well.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
Well...by 'full-featured' I was referring to the instruction set...not full process simulation. I think if we ever did a full process simulator we would make it a separate product and charge $$ for it.

That said, with Modbus/TCP client and server support, you could actually control a real process with the 'simulator'. The second major revision will include a native ERM function that will allow any EBC based IO to be used natively with MX.

Which is precisely why we are going to time-limit MX/SIM...not real keen on my simulator running somebody's plant.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
Ooh, and what about taking the kernel of the simulator and making it into a working soft PLC for use with EBC, Koyo serial remote, and Modbus RTU and TCP distributed I/O?

I probably wouldn't use it personally, but I bet a lot of people would.

The Soft PLC, obviously, not being a part of the free simulator, if there ends up being a free simulator, but a standalone commercial product of its own.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:29:06 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
Separated at birth, I see!   ;D