News:

• May 17, 2024, 08:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352594 times)

davidbgtx

• Host be the Most
Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »

Good idea. These things may also be helpful:
1. Under the Window menu choose Cascade to put the ladder views into old-style MDI mode. This allows you to view multiple ladder views at once.
2. Dragging the little bar at the very top of a ladder view scroll bar will split each view into two panes, allowing you to view different areas of the same code block.
3. Right click on a rung and select Monitor Values, and there are options for automatically loading rung/instruction contents into a Data View.
[/quote]

Number 2 does help, did not know you could split a window into 2 panes (do you have D0-More for Dummies yet).

mhw

« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
Please include the ability to enter the "Extra Info" and "Description" to the "Create Nickname" dialog box.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »
Please include the ability to enter the "Extra Info" and "Description" to the "Create Nickname" dialog box.

Already in the code. Will be in the DmD 1.4.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:56:58 PM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Garyhlucas

« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
Speaking of editing, I find that when copying tags adding the leading underscore and a trailing digit wastes a ton of time when revising the tag. Typically when I copy a tag it is because most of it is useful and just the least significant characters get changed. Having to delete the leading underscore is a nuisance.

Mike Nash

« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
Speaking of editing, I find that when copying tags adding the leading underscore and a trailing digit wastes a ton of time when revising the tag. Typically when I copy a tag it is because most of it is useful and just the least significant characters get changed. Having to delete the leading underscore is a nuisance.

Hear, Hear! Me too.

I wind up selecting the original tag to edit, highlighting what I need (all of it), canceling, then pasting as a new tag and editing that. Also a major waste of time though.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2015, 12:32:57 AM »
Sorry guys. Tags have to remain unique. The trailing digit is to ensure uniqueness. The leading underscore is to make it clear that these have been modified by the software and need user attention. Imagine copying a rung into a large project, and having 5 out of 500 tags modified for uniqueness. Needle in a haystack. The way we do it makes it easy to find and fix those.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »
Bob, I have found the same as these other fellows. Could the underscore be added to the ending instead? The part that makes it such a pain is having to edit the first character AND the last character.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »
Bob, I have found the same as these other fellows. Could the underscore be added to the ending instead? The part that makes it such a pain is having to edit the first character AND the last character.

It isn't required. It was just there to make them stand out. We'll see if we can talk Mark into making that an option.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Yeah, this one bugs me too.  I realize the nicknames must remain unique (because they can be used for alternate addressing), but the way it's done now feels very unwieldy, and if some more user-friendly idea could be found, I agree that it would make users lives easier.

Thanks!   8)
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »
Actually, rather than spend effort optimizing stuff like this, I'd vote for upgrading the doc Import/Export facility.  (Primarily by putting description line breaks in separate columns rather than embedding a control character.  Much easier to read and also much easier to use Excel drag-and-fill one column at a time if it's done that way).

For decades, I've used the external CSV copy as the official version of Allen-Bradley docs (Siemens too) and only import to the programming package, and not use the internal editor at all.  All that editing UI for tabular data is there for the using in spreadsheets, why not leverage it, instead of expending a lot of effort reinventing it?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »
Actually, rather than spend effort optimizing stuff like this, I'd vote for upgrading the doc Import/Export facility.  (Primarily by putting description line breaks in separate columns rather than embedding a control character.  Much easier to read and also much easier to use Excel drag-and-fill one column at a time if it's done that way).

For decades, I've used the external CSV copy as the official version of Allen-Bradley docs (Siemens too) and only import to the programming package, and not use the internal editor at all.  All that editing UI for tabular data is there for the using in spreadsheets, why not leverage it, instead of expending a lot of effort reinventing it?
It already does this as an option on export, and implicitly does this on import.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
Really?  Awesome!  When was this added?  That was a request of mine a long time ago and I didn't realize it was ever done.

Since you do have that, I'm not sure you need to change how the internal docs editor works.  It seems to me like that solves the problems of users like me who don't like the way the automatic nickname disambiguation works, just use Excel or Open Office for the docs editor.  Much better editing capabilities anyway, plus it doesn't know to differentiate the nicknames so it gives you the chance to do it yourself in whatever way you like before importing to DMD or DSoft.  (Plus the drag and fill may give you the opportunity to do it almost effortlessly anyway)

Mike Nash

« Reply #342 on: April 25, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
I don't know. Does this mean we don't need spell check because we can always just look it up in a dictionary?

(Not that spell check works worth a darn, since people are usually using the wrong words to benign (sic) with.) ;)

My vote goes to ditching the leading underscore - optional is fine. I usually don't do this type of thing wholesale anyway. Yes, if I do need to do a bunch, I use an external spreadsheet. In the days of old I would write a program in QuickBasic to do it.

But then it gets back to my wanting to have Drive1 Drive2, etc., for which I've already had my hand slapped. Maybe we could get smart-sorting that knows the proper order is DriveI DriveII DriveIII DriveIV, etc.?  ::)

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »
I don't know. Does this mean we don't need spell check because we can always just look it up in a dictionary?

(Not that spell check works worth a darn, since people are usually using the wrong words to benign (sic) with.) ;)

My vote goes to ditching the leading underscore - optional is fine. I usually don't do this type of thing wholesale anyway. Yes, if I do need to do a bunch, I use an external spreadsheet. In the days of old I would write a program in QuickBasic to do it.

But then it gets back to my wanting to have Drive1 Drive2, etc., for which I've already had my hand slapped. Maybe we could get smart-sorting that knows the proper order is DriveI DriveII DriveIII DriveIV, etc.?  ::)

Names have to be unique, but how we accomplish it is completely arbitrary. When we added the leading underscore, we did so to solve a perceived issue that clearly isn't as big a deal as the problem we caused doing so. We'll change it.

So who slapped your hand?

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »

Well, I just feel that if there's already a superior tool for editing tabular data, why spend effort upgrading the runner up that could be spent on adding features that MUST be in the programming package?

Yup, me too, though in my case it was VB and VBA.  I've even done AB code generation in VB.