News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which other PLC platforms would you like to see Do-more targeted for?

Terminator
Click
Other, smaller than 205 (please post a comment)
Other, larger than 205 (please post a comment)

Author Topic: Poll: Other Do-more PLC Platforms  (Read 73829 times)

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Poll: Other Do-more PLC Platforms
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Do-more is a retargetable control-engine.  It has been developed initially for the DirectLOGIC 205 line, and as a Windows Simulator.  Some customers have already asked about Do-more on 05, 06, and 405 lines.  Although not all lines are as easily implemented, we would like to see the relative preferences of the various PLC systems.

Feel free to post comments, opinions, ideas, etc.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:27:11 AM by franji1 »

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Other Do-more PLC Platforms
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
Soft logic engine for the PC.  Possibly to run on Linux.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
You have Click as one of the options to vote on. Can that really be done?

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
You have Click as one of the options to vote on. Can that really be done?
I don't see why not.  It's just a different I/O system.  We could do 305 if we wanted to, but I did not make it an option 'cuz I don't want to  ;D.

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
I had to think about that. Click is developed by Koyo like the DL series? So they would not mind if you did? You think they would care if it hurt the click sales? I get Koyo and AD mixed up in the sense who owns who.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
This poll is most certainly *not* a commentary on what can happen technically or politically. Our question is simply 'what do you want'? The technical considerations are (or should be) secondary to wants, and the politics shouldn't be a consideration at all. The reality is that both play a role. For now, however, we just wanna know what you want. If the poll makes it clear what needs to happen, then we analyze it technically and if we can find a way technically, we'll fight the political battles.

Too often we start with our opinions, do the tech work, then fight the politics...all to later realize we built something no-one wants. ::)
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
I had to think about that. Click is developed by Koyo like the DL series? So they would not mind if you did? You think they would care if it hurt the click sales? I get Koyo and AD mixed up in the sense who owns who.
The question is about what YOU want.  Imagine if you could have ANY PLC PLATFORM (heck, put down TI PM550 for "something bigger than a 205"  ;D)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:09 AM »

They'd probably care, but what are they going to do about it?  Start selling good PLC's?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:50 AM »
The question is about what YOU want.  Imagine if you could have ANY PLC PLATFORM (heck, put down TI PM550 for "something bigger than a 205"  ;D)

Aaaaaaah!!  (runs screaming)

deep6ixed

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
Click with a Do-More?  Until the Click gets better analog support, I don't really see the point.  If you need the power of the new CPU, then you defiantly need more hardware than the Click can provide.

Don't get me wrong, the click is awesome for small, mostly digital projects and the commands it comes with give you a lot of bang for the buck.  For our fast and cheap projects we love the click, but anything else is now getting the Do-More. 

However the 05 and 06 would be perfect place to harness this kind of power.  Small and expandable, and with the PEERLINK command, this could do wonders to the 06 line.

ATU

• Internal Dev
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
One feature that you can take from the click is it's modular stack-ability. I like that style. No wasted space. A DoMore CPU with  higher speed I/O, Motion, Analog and Communication modules in packaging similar to the Click plastic.

chris.zeman

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »
A Do-more version of the 05 would certainly be handy in some of the applications I currently put an 05 in. I have a couple of projects in the works for the H2-DM1E, but an 05 version would mean the ability to significantly improve about 30 animatronic units. ;D

Chris

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
Yeah, the 06 form factor has always felt odd to me.  Probably either evolved because they were designing an expando-brick, so you get the brick part (left) and then the expando part (right), or else because they were reserving the space on the front for the LCD. It feels like a weird aspect ratio, too big in area and too shallow for the I/O count.

(OTOH, I have a Toshiba EX28 on a board on the wall behind me that's probably 10"x10" and only about 1.5" deep for just 28 I/O, so I guess everything's relative.  OTOOH [that makes like three hands now if you're keeping track at home], that thing's 25 years old, so not necessarily the best example to emulate!   ;D)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
I voted for "larger than a 205" so here's the explanatory comment.

I like the 405/P3000/SLC-500ish form factor, so I'd like a DM in that size range (real American open-top barrier terminals on a module with a reasonable I/O count, decent size relays, etc.)

But....I suspect the 405 I/O modules and bus design are getting kinda obsolete (what are they, like 20 years old or something?), so I guess I'm voting for a new from-scratch platform in about that size.

Or....howzabout a good CPU for P3000?  Is their bus design such that it would be feasible?  Easier than doing a new one from scratch?  Would an unacceptable number of heads explode at ADC?

Please not silver, white, or beige whatever you do.

chris.zeman

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
I coouldn't agree more on the 06. I've put a few (less than 5) to use. Everything else (30+) either has an 05 or 205. The 06 is a decent controller but I don't like wiring the controller at the top. Space is a major factor with most of my applications.

Chris