News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: H2-CTRIO stays in program mode  (Read 2290 times)

rgbarr

H2-CTRIO stays in program mode
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
I have a customer with H2-CTRIO that started spitting out random numbers. When connecting to the module using CTRIO WB it showed the the configuration as being corrupted though the module was still in RUN mode. I had him re-load the configuration file but now the counter stays in the program and will not go to run. Any ideas?

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: H2-CTRIO stays in program mode
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
that error message can indicate a corrupted configuration or a comm problem trying to read and validate the configuration in the CTRIO.

from the symptoms i suspect there's either something wrong with the CTRIO itself, or there's a backplane comm problem between the CPU and the CTRIO. the CPU tells the CTRIO what mode it should be in by writing some values into the CTRIO's shared RAM. if the RUN led was still on that tells me the CTRIO configuration was intact at that point, but the CPU couldn't tell the CTRIO to change modes. the CTRIO's count values also come across the backplane - which could explain the random values you saw coming from the module.

the CTRIO will not transition out of PGM mode if the configuration is corrupt. it could be that the configuration that was reloaded didn't make it to the CTRIO intact. you can test this real quick by manually trying to put the CTRIO into run mode via CTRIOWB. if this doesn't work, it might be advisable to clear the CTRIO configuration first, then reload the configuration.

if you can't make the CTRIO function on it's own through CTRIOWB that points to a problem with the CTRIO itself, or potentially with the comm connection to the PC that's running CTRIOWB.

Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.