News:

• February 01, 2023, 10:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EDRV Retriving Comm Link Status  (Read 9015 times)

NateLiqGrav

EDRV Retriving Comm Link Status
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Hello all, I've finally run into question that I could not find an answer for in the excellent documentation: How can I retrieve the EDRV Comm Link Status?

Or perhaps I am looking at this wrong, so here is the back story: We are using a SCADA program (Modbus over Ethernet) with a GS1 or GS2 connected through a EDRV. I have gotten that all working except one issue I've run into. If the drive is disconnected from the EDRV or isn't powered the EDRV still reports the values it previously had even though it is searching for a drive at the time. Any ideas?

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: EDRV Retriving Comm Link Status
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
i have tried it, and yep, it's doing what you are describing ... i suspect that the gs-edrv is stashing a 'serial comm good/bad' value somewhere in some modbus/tcp-accessible memory that can tell you if the serial comm is working or not. I need to talk to the developers to confirm that, I am efforting that now and should have an answer in the AM.
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

NateLiqGrav

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
Thank you for confirming. I eagerly await a solution.

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
here ya go:

holding register 8705 (0x2201) will contain a 1 if the serial link is functional, and will be a 0 if the serial link is not working
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

NateLiqGrav

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Thank you, Works like a charm. :)
Out of curiosity is there anywhere I can find a list of all or most of these hidden gems?