News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Add command line support  (Read 14549 times)

harncw

Add command line support
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
Any chance on getting command line support added to this DNLoader utility?

I guess this could be a bad\unsafe idea, however I wanted to throw it out there...

Thoughts?

Anyone else have any similar "automated" method of updating their PLCs?

DL06 with H0-ECOM100 here.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Add command line support
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
There are various scripting utilities available with Windows that allow the automation of the graphical version.  Looks a little goofy on the screen but it will get you where you want.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

harncw

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:42 AM »
There are various scripting utilities available with Windows that allow the automation of the graphical version.  Looks a little goofy on the screen but it will get you where you want.

I assume you are referring to like a "autohotkey" or autoit (http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/).

I appreciate your suggestion, but so far I have only used such tools to kill kobolds and ogres.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Any chance on getting command line support added to this DNLoader utility?

Already there. Run with /? switch to dump the options. Basically you will provide switches to configure comm, select the image file, and then place DNLoader into batch (or non-GUI) mode. Note that the switches are acting like a script, so order matters. Provide the switches like you would do the operations yourself is you were doing so manually.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:45:10 AM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
I appreciate your suggestion, but so far I have only used such tools to kill kobolds and ogres.

You killed       ?

Bad engineer, bad!

PS: Thanks for the tutorial, BobO!  I didn't know that mode was in there.  Good to know.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
Careful Steve. I'd hate to see you wind up a smoking hole in the ground, after a spell blitz of some sort.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
Careful Steve. I'd hate to see you wind up a smoking hole in the ground, after a spell blitz of some sort.

He's already done his best to half the machines I have to commission and I lived through that.  What else can he do to me?   :D

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »
PS: Thanks for the tutorial, BobO!  I didn't know that mode was in there.  Good to know.

Had a request a few years ago from an OEM who wanted to reduce this to a "please run this batch file" level for customers and technicians. It was an awkward thing, but I managed to make it work by treating the command line parameters as a script, and then simply not running the GUI portion if /b is specified. I don't know that any of this was ever public knowledge, much like DNLoader itself...which is basically a customer favor that went bad.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
much like DNLoader itself...which is basically a customer favor that went bad.

As you say, "No good deed goes unpunished."  ;D
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
As you say, "No good deed goes unpunished."  ;D

Yeah. Which for those who may not understand the context...we love doing good deeds for customers...but...these things have an historically verified habit of becoming an albatross hung around our necks and the basis for repeated floggings. Which leads to the realization that a) we can do things and risk getting beaten for them, or b) not, and no-one is aware of what wasn't done that could've been. Given our predisposition to helping, we generally help, and then find ourselves rebuked for creating a situation. Hence, "no good deed goes unpunished".

harncw

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »
Thanks guys!

Also I'm pondering safety and if this is actually a good idea for me to implement.
I'm scared I'm going to shoot my foot off with this.

And now back to the punishment.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:48:58 AM by harncw »