News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SCADA System Time synchronization  (Read 2888 times)

clintonp

SCADA System Time synchronization
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
I have some DL06's with H0-ECOM100's that have to fetch and save the current time from an NTP timeserver -- that is, I have to update my PLC time based on polling an NTS-4000-GPS-R timerserver.  Does anybody do this?  I'm looking to get any code available to process an NTP time value.  Any advice on sending the request to the timeserver would be helpful, too! 

Paul in SE Wisconsin

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: SCADA System Time synchronization
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »
clintonp, I believe you and I discussed this via e-mail. But it doesn't look like anyone here has done that. As I indicated in my e-mail to you, the ECOM100s don't natively support SNTP protocol. Of course, you could use RBE (which I think we also discussed) and just send the time data (not in SNTP protocol) to the PC and, for that matter, between PLCs (i.e. peer-to-peer ECOM).
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

clintonp

Re: SCADA System Time synchronization
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »
Our solution was a relatively simple VB application on a Windows PC on the SCADA network.  The app fetches the time from the timeserver, and distributes it to the PLCs.  If there were a demand for millisecond or better accuracy, our approach would not have worked.  We got lucky. 

Paul in SE Wisconsin