News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GMail to terminate access from "less secure" apps  (Read 235 times)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
GMail to terminate access from "less secure" apps
« on: April 17, 2024, 04:54:39 PM »
According to the attached, GMail is terminating access to devices that use only a username and password for login as of September 30.   This is the approach I'm currently using for sending emails from BRX.
  • I'm not sure what PC programs or 'more secure' clients are doing that's different.   In TBird, for example, I don't give it any more information than I put into the BRX, yet it's not considered 'less secure'.
  • If I'm correct that this will render BRX mute after 9/30, are there still email services that will work with BRX, or alternately, could BRX email be upgraded in that time frame to use this security?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:56:12 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: GMail to terminate access from "less secure" apps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 05:03:46 PM »
According to the attached, GMail is terminating access to devices that use only a username and password for login as of September 30.   This is the approach I'm currently using for sending emails from BRX.
  • I'm not sure what PC programs or 'more secure' clients are doing that's different.   In TBird, for example, I don't give it any more information than I put into the BRX, yet it's not considered 'less secure'.
  • If I'm correct that this will render BRX mute after 9/30, are there still email services that will work with BRX, or alternately, could BRX email be upgraded in that time frame to use this security?

I have no idea what it would take to upgrade.

Right this moment I am eyeballs deep in EIP scanner. Given the restlessness of those who have waited patiently for as long as they have, I will not be allowing my attention to get diverted until it's shipped.

I find it hard to believe that there won't continue to be services that will work, or barring that, some form of gateway/relay app/service. The difficulties of sending email from embedded systems aren't going away any time soon.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 05:04:38 PM »
Yeah, exactly.   There's a lot of devices out there that only use username + password.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 05:15:39 PM »
How does google's "app specific passwords" work?  Supposedly, this is a special password (not your google password) that embedded devices can use, and from what I read is an option after September 30?

Not sure if it's a one-time 2 Factor Authentication to set it up, or if it's EVERY time you try to access it.

I have no clue - just trying to understand.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 05:49:09 PM »
Me too.  I remember when I originally created my app passwords used with BRX, it seems like GMail used the term somewhat interchangeably with "less secure" device access.   Also, the notice says "less secure" and also "or devices that have you sign in with only your username and password" so maybe two different things or maybe the second is the definition of the first, I can't tell.  Either way, it sounds as if app specific passwords would fall into the second category, which is part of what's being banned.

Edit: finally, when you follow Google's instructions on creating a new app password, the link to do so doesn't appear for me on the specified page, so that maybe suggests that's part of what's going away.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 05:50:58 PM by Controls Guy »

MAEdwards

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 08:32:29 AM »
See if this helps.

Question: Why am I no longer receiving Gmail from C-more, Productivity or Do-more devices?

Answer: After May 30, 2022 Google will no longer support 3rd party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google account using only your user name and password.

There are 3 steps needed to continue device access to Gmail.

Enable two-step verification (2SV) for your Google account.
Generate an application specific password for your device using your Google account.
Change your device settings to use the application specific password.[/li][/list]

Notes:
See attached .pdf for example device configurations.
Application specific passwords are not available unless 2SV is enabled.
The application specific password is a 16 character string that will be used on your device in place of your Google account login password.

Bolt

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 09:38:56 AM »
I've been using Brevo on more than a handful of BRX's for 2.5 years now, it has been so much better than Gmail. I've never looked back.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:35 PM »
    See if this helps.

Question: Why am I no longer receiving Gmail from C-more, Productivity or Do-more devices?

Answer: After May 30, 2022 Google will no longer support 3rd party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google account using only your user name and password.

There are 3 steps needed to continue device access to Gmail.

Enable two-step verification (2SV) for your Google account.
    Generate an application specific password for your device using your Google account.
    Change your device settings to use the application specific password.[/li][/list]

Thanks!  I'm aware of the 5/2022 deadline and the steps listed are what I am doing now.  I'm assuming that either the policy change was postponed from 5/2022 to 9/2024 or something was done then and this is something different.   In either case, it seems like 9/24 is expected to be more restrictive than whatever happened or didn't happen in 5/22, so I don't know if this is going to do the trick or not.   I discussed it with my partner and he's got some Idec's working on Yahoo, so I created an account there and there's no indication they plan to discontinue this, so hopefully that's the solution.   I'm also going to check out Brevo like Bolt is recommending.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
    • Darth Ladder
    « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 03:29:55 PM »
    I've been using Brevo on more than a handful of BRX's for 2.5 years now, it has been so much better than Gmail. I've never looked back.

Thanks!  I looked briefly and couldn't tell if they do the LSA username/password combo or if it's something you have to do via HTTP.   They mention an API, which I assume is implemented via HTTP.    Do you mind saying how you've got it working in BRX, un/pw, or HTTP?

Bolt

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 11:21:23 PM »
    Thanks!  I looked briefly and couldn't tell if they do the LSA username/password combo or if it's something you have to do via HTTP.   They mention an API, which I assume is implemented via HTTP.    Do you mind saying how you've got it working in BRX, un/pw, or HTTP?

Just a username/password through the Device Setup and regular EMAIL instructions in ladder logic.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
    • Darth Ladder
    « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 07:31:00 PM »
    Thanks, Bolt!  :)