News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EBCs erroring frequently  (Read 4109 times)

Dmdtrain

EBCs erroring frequently
« on: September 08, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »
Hello,

We have quite a few T1H-EBCs and EBC100s. It seems to be more of an issue with the non 100s though it has happened with them as well. When our lines start up we sequence turning on the conveyors thru a counter and often after 4-6 conveyors turn on we will get an IO fault shutting the system back down.

We haven't been able to find a true solution for this. Sometimes we'll swap parts and it'll work again, sometimes a power cycle fixes it, sometimes just letting it sit for a few minutes will.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this could be happening?

Thank you.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: EBCs erroring frequently
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 09:41:17 AM »
Do the T1H-EBC/EBC100s have lots of I/O? Or like relay output modules, or long strings of double-wide I/O modules?
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

Dmdtrain

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 10:12:37 AM »
Do the T1H-EBC/EBC100s have lots of I/O? Or like relay output modules, or long strings of double-wide I/O modules?

It varies from panel to panel. All digital in/out(s). 24-48 would be about the median range on any given panel with some with less and some with more. In/Out(s) accounting for 50% each.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 03:10:30 PM »
...24-48 would be about the median range on any given panel with some with less and some with more. In/Out(s) accounting for 50% each.
24-48 what? Modules? I/O points? Also, are most/any of them double-wide modules? And, again, are these relay modules?

The reason I'm asking this:
  • The longer the string of I/O modules, the more susceptible they can be to electrical noise.
  • Double-wide Terminator I/O modules are more susceptible than single-wide modules
  • Relay output modules (particularly higher voltage ones) if not properly snubbed, can generate electrical noise for the rest of the modules
  • If low-voltage cabling is run parallel to higher-voltage cables in wireways, for example, this can induce noise on the lower voltage ones
  • If any of your strings of I/O modules are near electrically noisy equipment (e.g. motors, motor drives, external relays, etc.) this can cause issues
  • Power supplies to any/all of the modules in the system, if it is noisy (e.g. ripples and spikes on an oscilloscope display) can make everything more susceptible to noise
All these things add up (are cumulative) where noise is concerned. Anything done to counter any of the above list should improve the reliability of your I/O.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.