News:

• February 05, 2023, 07:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dead BRX PLC  (Read 571 times)

scottsutton

Dead BRX PLC
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »
Hi,
I have a BX-DM1E-18ER3 PLC that has died. The PLC will not light up, show any status or anything. The customer pulled the PLC at my request and sent it back to me so I could evaluate the issue. I have had zero field failures with BRX PLC's prior to this. I removed the cover to reveal the three boards within the unit. Board 1 (Outputs and Power supply) tested normally on all test points with the other 2 boards disconnected from it. When I connect just the processor board and power back up the unit will power up and my status lights come back on and indicate a run status. However, when I connect the third board, the inputs board, the PLC goes dead again. All my test points at that stage read 0 volts, so obviously there is an electrical over-current of some type on the input board. Now the question is, because I cannot get a replacement PLC because of supply issues right now can I run this PLC with an external input module like the BX-12ND3 (which I have in stock) and just simply not use the internal native input card? Will the PLC run happily along like this? I could just cut the traces on the input card and reinstall it back together so it is whole from a mechanical standpoint.

Thanks,
Scott Sutton

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Dead BRX PLC
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:36:39 PM »
Hi,
I have a BX-DM1E-18ER3 PLC that has died. The PLC will not light up, show any status or anything. The customer pulled the PLC at my request and sent it back to me so I could evaluate the issue. I have had zero field failures with BRX PLC's prior to this. I removed the cover to reveal the three boards within the unit. Board 1 (Outputs and Power supply) tested normally on all test points with the other 2 boards disconnected from it. When I connect just the processor board and power back up the unit will power up and my status lights come back on and indicate a run status. However, when I connect the third board, the inputs board, the PLC goes dead again. All my test points at that stage read 0 volts, so obviously there is an electrical over-current of some type on the input board. Now the question is, because I cannot get a replacement PLC because of supply issues right now can I run this PLC with an external input module like the BX-12ND3 (which I have in stock) and just simply not use the internal native input card? Will the PLC run happily along like this? I could just cut the traces on the input card and reinstall it back together so it is whole from a mechanical standpoint.

Thanks,
Scott Sutton

It will likely have model number discovery issues that could cause you issues...it may not know what to call itself. If you want to send it back to Host, we'll turn it around ASAP.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

scottsutton

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »
Great, I will send it in for repairs. I assume I just contact you guys and make arrangements through your web contact number  423-913-2587 ?

Thanks,
Scott

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »
Great, I will send it in for repairs. I assume I just contact you guys and make arrangements through your web contact number  423-913-2587 ?

Thanks,
Scott

PM me your contact info.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO