News:

• February 01, 2023, 11:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PID program  (Read 3464 times)

artonpaper

PID program
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
I want to program a simple PID loop using the simulator. How do I establish the Setpoint? Seems there is no input for this.

Thanks,

Art

Mike Nash

Re: PID program
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:48:29 PM »
It will be the PID name and .SP so PID_00.SP for example. These are all in the help for PID.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
I'll give more detail in the morning, but the sim has a process simulator, and it shows the steps required...it's very simple to set up.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
We're going to put together a detailed step by step and post it here. It isn't hard. You can set up the process simulator, create the logic, tune the loop, and test the loop...all in about 5 minutes. It definitely isn't intuitive though, and we realized that we kinda dropped the ball on it. All of the information exists, but it's not in a single place.

So stand by...
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
Try looking at the PID1.dmd Example Project (under your Projects folder, look for Examples\Do-more Simulator\PID1.dmd).  The Start Page of that project walks you through SOME of these steps.

It is a program for the Simulator that lets you play around with the "oven" process.  It then lets you use a PID to control the oven, then utilizes a RAMPSOAK to run through a temperature profile.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
Absolutely you MUST try the autotune function on your process! Truly freaking awesome. Blower controlled on pressure took about 5 seconds. Pump controlled on flow about 10 seconds. Pump controlled on tank level about 1 minute. Chemical pump on pH took almost 45 minutes because of slow system response. Nailed it perfectly! I am old enough to remember standing in front of a control panel for days while adjusting trim pots on analog PID controls, so this is just amazing.

artonpaper

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I did find the PID sample oven program and was able to use the simulator to experiment. Still learning....thanks,

Art.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
We've written an FAQ on how to get the processor simulator running.

http://www.hosteng.com/FAQFiles/Do-more.htm#FAQ0041