News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:56:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DoMore Designer on a user account  (Read 3084 times)

eman5oh

DoMore Designer on a user account
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
I have been having trouble using DoMore designer on a work computer that I do not have admin privileges on. For example, when trying to change the working folder under the manage projects, it looks like every thing is fine when you close the window, but when you open it back up it has the previous settings in it. Is it possible to make DoMore Designer work on a non-admin account?

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: DoMore Designer on a user account
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
When you make the modification to the path of the working folder Do-more Designer checks to see if you have write access to that folder. Obviously, you do, that's why everything appears to be OK. However, the actual storage of the pathname you gave it is stored in the Do-more INI file. The file itself is located in c:\Do-more\Designer2_0 and is called DmDesigner2_0.INI. However due to Windows system security, the one you modify is in VirtualStore folder.

Try this instead. Go to Do-more Designer's LunchPad (View --> Launchpad). In the Application window double-click on DmDesigner2_0.ini. This will pull up the "correct file" in your PC's default text editor (Notepad). Scroll down to the [PATHS] heading and manually change the PROJECT PATH. Save the file and exit. Restart Do-more Designer, and then check to see if it worked.

Although you might get an immediate complaint when you attempt to save the file.

If this doesn't work, it may be that your Administrator will have to give you R/W access to where the INI file is stored (i.e. c:\Do-more\Designer2_0) and modify that file.

@franji1 may have something to add or correct...
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
c:\Do-more\Designer2_0 is NOT the location of the INI file.  That is just the dummy/base one that gets installed with Designer.

It will either be the Window's folder or the Virtual Store based on whether you have UAC disabled or enabled.

The way to tell is when you launch the DmDesigner2_0.ini file from Designer's Launch Pad, try to do a Save As from NotePad and see where it wants to initially save the INI file.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Mine is always in the VirtualStore folder. But doesn't the Windows system copy it there?
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

eman5oh

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
I used the launch pad to open the ini file and found it wants to save to C:\Windows, I will ask out IT group to add this path. Thank You.

eman5oh

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
While our IT group was able to get this to work we now have multiple users doing programming with the DoMore software and they asked if I would forward on some feature requests to make software deployment and management easier to do. The requests are below and are from an IT perspective. I understand that most of your users will be doing there own software installs and maintenance but you must also have other users like me that work for larger companies and government where IT managed systems are the norm so if you could please consider the requests below.

#1 - please consider releasing the software as the Microsoft Standard msi files. If not possible, please consider supporting a /s plus config flags for a workable silent, unattended install.

#2 - please consider storing user accessed files in user space, i.e.
move C:\Windows\DmDesigner2_1.INI to either %USERPROFILE%\AppData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI (example C:\Users\Username\AppData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI where Username is the Windows user name.) or to a Authenticated Users Write permission in C:\ProgramData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI

#3 - consider making the Bin/DMDCOMM.RST a user file stored as above, or just a configurable path - our users replace the file sometimes to move projects between computers and storing in the software directory for this leads to permission issues.

Thank You

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
While our IT group was able to get this to work we now have multiple users doing programming with the DoMore software and they asked if I would forward on some feature requests to make software deployment and management easier to do. The requests are below and are from an IT perspective. I understand that most of your users will be doing there own software installs and maintenance but you must also have other users like me that work for larger companies and government where IT managed systems are the norm so if you could please consider the requests below.

#1 - please consider releasing the software as the Microsoft Standard msi files. If not possible, please consider supporting a /s plus config flags for a workable silent, unattended install.

#2 - please consider storing user accessed files in user space, i.e.
move C:\Windows\DmDesigner2_1.INI to either %USERPROFILE%\AppData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI (example C:\Users\Username\AppData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI where Username is the Windows user name.) or to a Authenticated Users Write permission in C:\ProgramData\DoMore\DmDesigner2_1.INI

#3 - consider making the Bin/DMDCOMM.RST a user file stored as above, or just a configurable path - our users replace the file sometimes to move projects between computers and storing in the software directory for this leads to permission issues.

Thank You

We are looking into addressing these issues.

Regarding #2/#3 the Document folder, we are looking at using %ALLUSERPROFILE% instead of %USERPROFILE% as the "root" so that any user who uses the same PC has the same comm links, default projects folder, etc.