News:

• February 01, 2023, 11:09:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SDK with Do-More  (Read 4378 times)

keith

SDK with Do-More
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:22:54 PM »
I am currently using the SDK with the DL-250 and 260.  I am looking at converting to the Do-More.  For the most part, I am just using HEICCMRequest to read and write to V-Memory with DataType 0x31.

When I switch to the Do-More can I still use the same technique ?  How does the strongly typed memory map of the do-More affect the mapping to the CCM Request ?  Documentation I have on the 0x31 data type arg says "See the Direct Net manual", but I think my manual is too old for a do-more.

I guess I just need to plug a Do-More into my test rack, and play with it, but I was hoping for a little input first.

The SDK source archive I have is rather old (1998 dates on source files) -- has it changed since then ?  The spec document in it is V1.0. I keep using it because it still works... However, perhaps it is time for a fresh copy.

Where do I get a DirectNet manual to see what the DataType values mean ?  I remember I found one somewhere 17 years ago...  I think it was the same year the ECOM came out.

Keith

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: SDK with Do-More
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
The protocol will still think it's talking to a DL-classic processor, and what it thinks of as V2000, you'll find in the Do-More as DLV2000, C100 at DLC100 and so on (it's even still octal addressed).

You won't be able to access native Do-More memory such as N, D, R, V, and so on, but that's largely the point.  It forces, or at least encourages you, to sandbox the comms so that they can't create havoc by writing to random registers.

Modbus RTU and TCP work similarly.  They're transparent to the device on the other end, but only the corresponding dedicated area in Do-More is accessible for reading and writing.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
The on-board Ethernet port of the Do-more CPUs cannot be configured as a CCM Server which would use DirectNET protocol - which is what the CCMRequest is generating. The on-board port can be configured as a K-Sequence server but that's a different protocol and it requires a protocol specification that is only available from ADC.

If you continue to use the H2-ECOM module with the Do-more CPU that will work the same as it does for a 250/260, but with the changes that Controls Guy said, the data you're moving into/out of is DLX, DLY, DLC, and DLV.

If you're interested, there is a sample Do-more application that implements a DirectNET Server using the CPU's serial port that could be modified to use the on-board Ethernet port - I'm not sure how much effort that would be, but that's an option.

You might be better served to move to Modbus/TCP protocol since that is natively supported on the Ethernet port.
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
The on-board Ethernet port of the Do-more CPUs cannot be configured as a CCM Server which would use DirectNET protocol - which is what the CCMRequest is generating. The on-board port can be configured as a K-Sequence server but that's a different protocol and it requires a protocol specification that is only available from ADC.

If you continue to use the H2-ECOM module with the Do-more CPU that will work the same as it does for a 250/260, but with the changes that Controls Guy said, the data you're moving into/out of is DLX, DLY, DLC, and DLV.

If you're interested, there is a sample Do-more application that implements a DirectNET Server using the CPU's serial port that could be modified to use the on-board Ethernet port - I'm not sure how much effort that would be, but that's an option.

You might be better served to move to Modbus/TCP protocol since that is natively supported on the Ethernet port.

That's not correct, Mike. The onboard port does support CCM requests to DLV, DLC, DLX, and DLY.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO